Windows 7 New Graphics Card.

Yup. She's here beautiful & banging off the hook.
XFX 4890 XXX.
Got'er installed n what not.
Amazing!

Nice! Have you benched it yet?

What about overclocking? Will you be pushing the pixels ...:cool:

Nice! Have you benched it yet?

What about overclocking? Will you be pushing the pixels ...:cool:

Thanks for replying, the man I need to speak with :).

Yeah, I just now benched it, I don't think its performing as it should be?

Here is a screen shot of gpuz, cpuz, 3dmark06 and windows 7 score, its a messy screen shot
as I didn't feel like messing with layers today, just installed windows 7.

Another thing should shaders be showing up in gpuz?

I have alot to learn with this card as it is my very first ati, I don't know anything
about setting the voltages, from temporary to making it permanent in bios? same with
making overclocks permanent in bios as well as with fan speeds.

I have the fan speeds @50%, all of the card temps do not exceed over 52c with a 100% GPU usage.

Riva Tuner is taking care of the overclocking & fan speeds atm, if using CCC to handle oc's
& fan speeds I tend to see my gpu drop from 975 to 240mhz with ccc, rivatuner I do not
see it drop at all to 240mhz, stays steady 975.

Also i see you asked about pushing the pixels, is that same as ocing the card as I did above or is there more to it?

ATI tools work in 64 bit environment? also what are the best programs to use with the ati if you don't mind me asking?

Think that sums it up, hopefully some help if you don't mind providing it?

Lol, yes by 'pushing the pixels' I did mean overclocking..

Ok...ATI and Catalyst drivers...
If you have never used an ATI card before the drivers can be an absolute nightmare but once your used to them it's fine. This guide is worth a read: TweakGuides.com - ATI Catalyst Tweak Guide
When you see your card drop like it does (in speed), all that's happening is that the card is throttleing back to save power ( it goes into what's called '2D mode') so don't worry.

I loaded up a GPU-Z and my windows score so you can compare. Don't forget my card is overclocked so it will appear faster than what a normal 4870 should be (still not as fast as a 4890 but getting there).
3D mark 06 scores are around 16650 higher on a good day. Also don't forget that your CPU will make a difference to scores too..

Thanks for replying, the man I need to speak with :).

Yeah, I just now benched it, I don't think its performing as it should be?

Here is a screen shot of gpuz, cpuz, 3dmark06 and windows 7 score, its a messy screen shot
as I didn't feel like messing with layers today, just installed windows 7.

Another thing should shaders be showing up in gpuz?

I have alot to learn with this card as it is my very first ati, I don't know anything
about setting the voltages, from temporary to making it permanent in bios? same with
making overclocks permanent in bios as well as with fan speeds.

I have the fan speeds @50%, all of the card temps do not exceed over 52c with a 100% GPU usage.

Riva Tuner is taking care of the overclocking & fan speeds atm, if using CCC to handle oc's
& fan speeds I tend to see my gpu drop from 975 to 240mhz with ccc, rivatuner I do not
see it drop at all to 240mhz, stays steady 975.

Also i see you asked about pushing the pixels, is that same as ocing the card as I did above or is there more to it?

ATI tools work in 64 bit environment? also what are the best programs to use with the ati if you don't mind me asking?

Think that sums it up, hopefully some help if you don't mind providing it?

As for creating custom bios's.. I'll have to find the correct web site for the right software but yes, no worries there..
As for getting low scores with the benching ect... If it doesn't seem to improve (I always do a clean install whenever I get something pretty major like a fat graphics card) Either try installing the driver again or do a fresh install.
Rivatuner does work with ATI but as you'll find that it's more geared up for Nvidia cards..
ATI tools... Not really done much with them... To be honest I just use the CCC to overclock and pretty much leave it at that.. If you wanted to find out more then the best forum would be 3D Guru as they have some dedicated sections to ATI cards and apps.

I hope thats answered a few questions for now... Post back and let me know how you got on....Oh and about overclocking, you'll see that I've pushed my card to the most ccc will go and it handles that no problem what so ever. I should imagine your card will be pretty similar in that respect...but still, go careful first time around. :)

Last edited:
:D......
cool-smiley-027.gif
......:D

10 hrs later with some good stuff.

:D:D

10 hrs later with some good stuff.

New test results with Clock, Volts & Scores.

Core Clock : 1010MHz
Memory Clock : 1170
Core Voltage : 1.4v
Memory Voltage : 1.3v

cpu-z.
CPU-Z Validator 3.1
gpu-z.
Link Removed - Invalid URL
furmark score.
OpenGL Graphics Benchmarks Scores | oZone3D.Net

I had a problem with ati tray tools, wiped out ccc, recieved worse results with
ati tray tools, could not get it back at all, ended up formatting but resulted in
better acheivements!

Last edited:
Cool...and I see the CPU-z sig is now working too :D

Wow...your core is over 1gig! I'm wondering though if your CPU might be 'bottlenecking' your card?

Are you BOTTLE NECKED?! - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

Definitely it is bottled the processor & board is killing me, kinda knew it would be since everybody benches them off I7 -n- what not, but also I found out my board is not pci-express x16 2.0, just pci-express x 16, been planning for all this, soon will be the e8500 or e8600, found the e8500 for like under us200.00, hope the 8600 will drop:). been looking at the GIGABYTE boards :D. All in good patient time. Soon.

I shouldn't worry about PCIE 2.0 as it only adds like a frame per second usually. As for CPU, why not buy a real cheapie and overclock it?

As for creating custom bios's.. I'll have to find the correct web site for the right software but yes, no worries there..
As for getting low scores with the benching ect... If it doesn't seem to improve (I always do a clean install whenever I get something pretty major like a fat graphics card) Either try installing the driver again or do a fresh install.
Rivatuner does work with ATI but as you'll find that it's more geared up for Nvidia cards..
ATI tools... Not really done much with them... To be honest I just use the CCC to overclock and pretty much leave it at that.. If you wanted to find out more then the best forum would be 3D Guru as they have some dedicated sections to ATI cards and apps.

I hope thats answered a few questions for now... Post back and let me know how you got on....Oh and about overclocking, you'll see that I've pushed my card to the most ccc will go and it handles that no problem what so ever. I should imagine your card will be pretty similar in that respect...but still, go careful first time around. :)

yea, ended up doing a fresh install win7, ati tray tools messed up ccc, could not fix it.
Think I gots the hang of ati, rivatuner seems to work very well with ati, all i had to do for riva to recognize the 4890 is add RV790 PCI DeviceID (9460h) to RV770 line of [GPU_1002] section of riva's cfg.

Im using GPUTool_CTP1 for controlling the core and mem volts.
Rivatuner for Fan Speed and Overclocking which is weird because seems like this card can keep going up in clocks like massively.
I did have artifacts till volts were raised & that solved the problem making it better to oc it :), the temps are wicked good, with absolutely no artifacts.

Been GPU Folding all day receiving Great stability, ran vantage & furmark as well all day too receiving Great stability.

Last edited:
That sounds like a solid card epk. I've never really got on with ATI Tools myself although some swear by it.

Have you thought anymore about the CPU upgrade?

I thnil they're supposed to be decent overclockers too if I'm not mistaken..:cool:

Please supply more information on system spec such as name of motherboard, PSU rating and so on...

Back