Windows Vista New to Vista.

tdh88

Hey guys, yesterday I purchased a new Dell Studio 15 laptop with Windows Vista. I've heard a lot of good about Vista, but at the same time I've heard a lot of bad. I'm sold at this point.

Any must have programs that I need to download? This will be my first PC in over 4 years, been using a Macbook. Anyways, thanks guys.

Hi tdh88,
welcome to the forum! You first want to make sure that it has SP1 installed, to do this click on start and then control panel. At the top you'll see 'System and maintenance', click that. Then, written under 'System' you'll see 'See the name of this computer', click that. You should see 'Service pack 1' written near the top if not then you'll be best to install it. If you go here:
http://winvistaforums.com/windows-vista-support/12082-ms-releases-sp1.html
you'll see a link for the standalone version (which is much easier to install than other versions) download and install.
As for essential programs it depends on what you want to do (obviously) but for cleaning ect 'Ccleaner' is pretty hard to beat and the free download can be found here: Download CCleaner 2.10.618 - FileHippo.com
Well I hope that helps for now...Anything else just ask..:D

Hi tdh88

Welcome aboard.
Remember and install good security protection. You can get perfectly reliable anti-virus and anti-spyware for free. Spybot & SUPERAntiSpyware are popular and effective and AVG anti-virus has been around a while and does a good job. You could add Zone Alarms free firewall for some extra protection.

Back