Windows 7 no... it IS NOT OPEN IN ANOTHER PROGRAM!

paradive

every SINGLE TIME i try to move a folder around, i get "this action can not be done because the file is open in another program".

BUT IT ISN'T!!! i've shut down EVERY PROGRAM AND SERVICE except explorer and STILL get the same thing!
this is my biggest beef with Win7 and would do anything to get around it.

any ideas?

Download and install Unlocker 1.9.0

It doesn't cure the problem, but at least you can say "Oh No It Isn't!" with a maniacal laugh at the end as you hit the "unlock all" button! :)

Download and install Unlocker 1.9.0

It doesn't cure the problem, but at least you can say "Oh No It Isn't!" with a maniacal laugh at the end as you hit the "unlock all" button! :)

tried that.
but for whatever reason, Unlocker won't run. =/

Old thread now, but I've got something...

I found that DOS commands will work around this slightly insulting lie, though it's tedious compared to dragging and dropping.

Type cmd in the Start searchy thing, and the icon for Command Prompt shows up on the list
Right-click on it and run as Administrator (my first try didn't work when I did not run as Admin)
Use the move command, using double-quotes around any folders/paths that include spaces:

move "C:\Waka Waka\El Foldero" "D:\Folderama\subfolderama\yada yada\"

I've noticed that in Windows Explorer, having the folders exploded on the left pane can keep you from moving folders in the right pane. So when Windows Explorer says a folder is open in "another" program, it doesn't know that it is the "other" program. Sometimes collapsing folders in the left pane alleviates this.

Back