Windows 7 No sound on refurbished Lenovo Think Centre

housetb

I know enough about computers to generally fix anything that doesn't work... but I cannot figure anything out with this.

I checked to make sure a sound card was installed... It appears one is and is listed under "High Definition Audio Device," which I assume is standard on any computer. Unless that is not a name defining the sound card?

I know the speakers work, they are brand new. They are on, turned up, computer not muted, speakers plugged in the correct jack... all those things most people are going to suggest to check. It has all been done.

Is this likely a driver issue, or maybe something more complicated since it is a refurbished computer? I did try updating the sound driver, but it came back saying the best, most updated file was already installed...

Thanks for the help!

Hi,
can you post the exact model as then we can point you to the correct driver. I checked on the Lenovo site but there are a few models of the Think Centre.

When you say the machine is refurbished by that do you mean it has had the os re-installed? I'm just trying to determine what stopped the audio working in the first place.

Hi,
can you post the exact model as then we can point you to the correct driver. I checked on the Lenovo site but there are a few models of the Think Centre.

When you say the machine is refurbished by that do you mean it has had the os re-installed? I'm just trying to determine what stopped the audio working in the first place.

From what I can tell it is a Think Centre M55 (model number 8811)... I was looking at the Lenovo website too, and it didn't seem to help me much. I may not have been looking in the right places though.

By refurbished, I mean I bought it refurbished... So I guess its possible this machine really shouldn't be operating Windows 7, which could potentially cause some things not to work properly (like the sound)?

Hi,
the web page for your system model is here:
http://support.lenovo.com/en_GB/downloads/default.page?

Driver support for the Audio driver stops at Windows vista. You could try downloading that driver and installing under compatibility mode or try this recent version I found via google:
http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/17264/

I tried the recent version and it would not install at all. A message came up saying the computer hardware did not support it. I am currently trying the one from the Lenovo site and see if I can get that one to work.

If that does not work, is there anything else you would suggest trying? Thanks a ton for your help!

I tried the recent version and it would not install at all. A message came up saying the computer hardware did not support it. I am currently trying the one from the Lenovo site and see if I can get that one to work.

If that does not work, is there anything else you would suggest trying? Thanks a ton for your help!

So neither of those drivers worked... I also tried uninstalling the High Definition Audio Device I listed above, and after uninstalling it, I saw the speaker icon in the bottom right of the screen have an x icon through it (like it would if it were muted). When I clicked on the speaker icon, it immediately started to download the driver again... Needless to say, it still did not fix the problem... I thought it was going to for a second because I heard my speakers make a slight buzz sound towards the end of the download, but it didn't do anything.

Back
Top Bottom