Windows 7 (Not BSOD) WMPlayer hangs, intermittently, inconsistently, unpredictably

highmeadowhiker

Is there another section in this forum for discussing apps hanging, rather than causing a BSOD? Or is this the right place?
Operating System: MS Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz
RAM: 9.0GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz 7-7-7-20
Motherboard: DELL Inc. 0X501H (CPU 1)
Graphics: Dell 2209WA(Digital) on NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240
Hard Drives: 640GB Western Digital WDC WD6400AAKS-75A7B2 (IDE)
300GB Maxtor Maxtor OneTouch II IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device (1394)
Optical Drives: HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH20N
PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16AAS
HP Virtual CD 4607 USB Device
Audio: Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

Something is changed or corrupted: For the first 9 months of using this computer, purchased with the OS preinstalled, MPG files opened, by default, with Windows Media Player 12, and ran as expected. Now, I get intermittent failures and successes, mostly the former. I went to the MS download site, and learned that there is no download of just WMP12, because it is part of Win7.

I have never experienced these problems with WMP11 on WinXP.

A common sequence of events is: A given MPG (a home movie clip created using Roxio) opens and plays as expected. I close WMP, and open the very same file. WMP virtually hangs with “opening media” phase never completing and the file never playing. So, I close WMP by clicking the X in the upper right corner. Task Manager shows “Default IME Not Responding.” I kill/end it in Task Mgr. Sometimes WMPlayer.exe is still a Process, though WMP is not in the Task Mgr application list. Sometimes I get a “Server execution failed.”

It has always been my experience that if I “open with” Windows Live Movie Maker, instead of the default WMP, the file plays as expected. They also “open with” VLC Media Player, and play as expected, tho I do need to select Audio Track 2. Therefore, I decline to blame the MPG file, but something to do with WMP.

Please know that in accordance with some forum posts, I have used services.msc to disable Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service.

The failure of WMP to open MPG files is intermittent, inconsistent, unpredictable. I activated this computer in January, and the problems are only in the past 2 or 3 weeks. Please give me a clue to solving this issue.

Is there another section in this forum for discussing apps hanging, rather than causing a BSOD? Or is this the right place?
Operating System: MS Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz
RAM: 9.0GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz 7-7-7-20
Motherboard: DELL Inc. 0X501H (CPU 1)
Graphics: Dell 2209WA(Digital) on NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240
Hard Drives: 640GB Western Digital WDC WD6400AAKS-75A7B2 (IDE)
300GB Maxtor Maxtor OneTouch II IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device (1394)
Optical Drives: HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH20N
PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16AAS
HP Virtual CD 4607 USB Device
Audio: Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

Something is changed or corrupted: For the first 9 months of using this computer, purchased with the OS preinstalled, MPG files opened, by default, with Windows Media Player 12, and ran as expected. Now, I get intermittent failures and successes, mostly the former. I went to the MS download site, and learned that there is no download of just WMP12, because it is part of Win7.

I have never experienced these problems with WMP11 on WinXP.

A common sequence of events is: A given MPG (a home movie clip created using Roxio) opens and plays as expected. I close WMP, and open the very same file. WMP virtually hangs with “opening media” phase never completing and the file never playing. So, I close WMP by clicking the X in the upper right corner. Task Manager shows “Default IME Not Responding.” I kill/end it in Task Mgr. Sometimes WMPlayer.exe is still a Process, though WMP is not in the Task Mgr application list. Sometimes I get a “Server execution failed.”

It has always been my experience that if I “open with” Windows Live Movie Maker, instead of the default WMP, the file plays as expected. They also “open with” VLC Media Player, and play as expected, tho I do need to select Audio Track 2. Therefore, I decline to blame the MPG file, but something to do with WMP.

Please know that in accordance with some forum posts, I have used services.msc to disable Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service.

The failure of WMP to open MPG files is intermittent, inconsistent, unpredictable. I activated this computer in January, and the problems are only in the past 2 or 3 weeks. Please give me a clue to solving this issue.

Highmeadowhiker welcome

There are several possible causes. Codecs, system corruption, configuration conflicts.

My first suggestion is to run a system file check to verify and repair the Operating System

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Let us know if you need further assistance

Jan

SFC reported that there are some corrupted files. My Dell came with the Win7 as "OEM" and the only disk they sent me was for a deadly destructive so-called restore disk that takes the computer back to day One. For many, many reasons I am quite unwilling to wipe out my hard drive. I find posts that tell how to repair corrupt system files, but only if you have an appropriate installation DVD. Other than pay the significant dollars for a Win 7 Pro 64-bit installation DVD, do I have alternatives?

Further, so far I have been unable to open the CBS.log generated by SFC; "denied"

I followed the link. I may have gotten off the correct track in the chain of links. I downloaded and installed Final Torrent, Version 2010, Bitware Software. I took the link with the paperclip and words Windows 7 Recovery Disk 64-Bit (x64) Edition, then up comes "opening Windows 7 64-bit Repair Disk.torrent"
The radio button selected is "Open with Final Torrent"
As I proceed, Final Torrent opens, but then I need to enter a search phrase. No matter what I have entered, I always get "No results . . ."
So, my present level of understanding is inadequate. Apparently I need baby-step instructions to make the correct navigation through the links. I have been making bad guesses.
View attachment Torrent 3.pdfView attachment torrent 2.pdfView attachment Torrent 1.pdfView attachment Torrent 4.pdf

Back
Top Bottom