Number of copies issue in Print log from Microsoft Word

aamirhabib1972

Dear Friends

We are facing a problem with prints sending through Microsoft Word via Print Server (based on Windows Server 2016). Despite sending multiple copies of the documents, by increasing number of copies on print dialog, the print log's event 805 records only one copy of the print. The required settings of printer like Render prints jobs on client computers is unchecked (suggested by a forum). Problem occurs only with Word. Other software like Notepad, Excel or Adobe are giving correct number of copies in Print log.

Furthermore the Printer's queue also shows wrong number of pages.

The only closest solution found on the forums is not practical in our environment, due to being a university and having large number of computers along with thousands of users for each computer. The link of suggested solution is given below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...lue-of-1-when-you-try-to-retrie?wa=wsignin1.0

Kindly provide us a practical and permanent solution.

Thanks

Aamir Habib

Well my first thought would be if you're still using Office 2003 you should probably upgrade to a supported version. Hotfixes are generally used to address one-off bugs that don't affect all environments so installing the hotfix and setting the registry value is probably going to be your only option. Do you not have some kind of package management solution in place? Seems kind of odd that you wouldn't for a university.

Well my first thought would be if you're still using Office 2003 you should probably upgrade to a supported version. Hotfixes are generally used to address one-off bugs that don't affect all environments so installing the hotfix and setting the registry value is probably going to be your only option. Do you not have some kind of package management solution in place? Seems kind of odd that you wouldn't for a university.

Dear Neemobeer

First of all many thanks for giving attention to my issue. Furthermore let me mention that right now I am using Office 365, which is already one of advance versions of Office. This problem is occurring not only with any specific version of Word but with all versions of Word.

Except that I don't understand what do you mean by Package Management Solution. Kindly give some example regarding it.

Thanks again
Aamir

Well if you're on Office 365 then the patch you linked wouldn't work since it only applies to Office 2003. A package manager would be software that can push out scripts and software to 1 or many computers at the same time such as SCCM or Altiris

Yes I know the linked patch is totally useless in my scenario. There is no package manager on our client machines as well as on Print Server.

So I guess my next question is why do you care what this event -id returns? Is it for cost coding?

Yes near to that. As we belong to a university and our objective is to record and charge the number of pages printed by our students and optionally record for staff as well. Number of copies, if being 1, gives an incorrect result.

Back