Windows 7 nVidia 6200 driver problems

RogerinPhoenix

My system
P4 - 1.8GHz
2 GB memory
nVidia GeForce 6200 w/512MB
Windows 7 RC (32-bit)

When I installed the RC, Win7 went out and found a nVidia 6200 driver. Then I got the following message

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

I found a newer driver on the nVida site and downloaded it. When I execute the 185.85_desktop_win7_32bit_english_whql.exe file, I get the nVidia setup and installation, and immediatiely get the same error.

I have uninstalled the nVidia driver, currently Device Manager reports "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)"

This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)
The system cannot find the file specified.
To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

I extracted 185.85_desktop_win7_32bit_english_whql.exe to a directory. From Device Manager, I clicked on "Update Driver" and pointed it at the extracted folder. I get an error "Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it".

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Did you down this driver directly from Nvidia's site?

If not I suggest you go there to download the latest driver specifically for Windows 7.

yes, I downloaded 185.85_desktop_win7_32bit_english_whql.exe directly from the nVidia site.

I tried to install it by using the nVida installer, and again by pointing Windows 7 at the folder I made by extracting this file. Neither worked for me.

I have tried three things....

Update Driver (Prelease WDDM 1.0 from ???). Result is Code 43
Update Driver to unzipped nVidia folder. Result "error during install"
Setup.exe - full nVidia install. Result is Code 43

After re-reading your original post, you have done all the proper methods.

I believe there may be a leftover driver from the original Windows update that was first installed.

Go to control panel > Programs and features, click the view installed updates and see if it's listed here.

If not, create a restore point.

open Regedit and do a search for nvidia. Delete all references to nvidia if found.

Do a search of the hard drive for nv*. If you locate a file named nvlddmkm.sys, delete that file as well.

Restart your computer and then try to install the Windows 7 driver from Nvidia.

I highly doubt that Windows will not start, but if it doesn't, hit the F8 key (may be different depending on manufacturer) until you see the Repair Windows screen Select that and you can do a system restore from here,

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom