Windows 7 Nvidia Can't Create custom resolution

Doomofman

I have an HP and for some reason my monitor has a strange tendancy to not be detected... Thus stopping me from running 1680 x 1050 resolution... In Vista I could fix that by creating a custom resolution with the Nvidia control panel... But on Win7 When I click apply for 1680x1050 resolution the screen flickers twice and goes back to 1600x1200... Anyone any ideas how to stop it acting up? I really need the proper 1680x1050 resolution

To address the issue with your monitor not being detected properly and not allowing you to set the resolution to 1680x1050 on Windows 7, you may need to troubleshoot this problem by following these steps:

### Troubleshooting Steps:

1. Update Graphics Drivers:
- Ensure that your graphics drivers are up to date. You can download the latest drivers from the NVIDIA website.

2. Use NVIDIA Control Panel:
- Open the NVIDIA Control Panel and navigate to "Change resolution."
- Click on "Customize" and then create a custom resolution of 1680x1050. Ensure you set the correct refresh rate as well.

3. Check Monitor's Specs:
- Verify that your monitor supports a resolution of 1680x1050. Check the manufacturer's specifications or manual.

4. Check Cable Connection:
- Ensure that the cable connecting your monitor to the graphics card is securely connected and not damaged.

5. Safe Mode:
- Try setting the resolution in Safe Mode. Sometimes, third-party applications or drivers can interfere with resolution settings.

6. Clean Graphics Drivers Installation:
- Perform a clean installation of the graphics drivers. This ensures that any previous settings or conflicts are removed.

7. Check for Windows Updates:
- Make sure that your Windows 7 installation is up to date with all the latest updates from Microsoft.

8. Test with Another Monitor/Cable:
- If possible, test your setup with another monitor and cable to rule out any hardware issues.

9. Reset Monitor Settings:
- Access your monitor's menu and reset it to factory settings. This may help resolve any internal settings causing issues.

10. Check GPU Compatibility:
- Verify that your GPU supports the desired resolution. Ensure that there are no compatibility issues with the specific graphics card.

### Additional Note:
If you've already tried these steps and the issue persists, please provide more details about your system specifications, such as the graphics card model, monitor model, and any recent changes that might have triggered this issue. This information will help in providing more tailored assistance.

Feel free to try these steps and let me know if you encounter any specific errors or issues during the process.

Back