Windows 8 Observation, set me straight

Timesweeper

It looks to me as if "Windows 8" is setting out to turn your computer options into your smart phone options. It seems to be melding the two so that you can experience one without the other, or both together. the profitability of the apps. market is key. I like the idea of a smart phones options on my computer if that observation is correct?

I think I like the idea of being able to chose between formats. I would like to hear your thoughts on switching back and forth between formats.

I am curious to recieve "non-technical" imput from members on my observations. The reason I say "non-technical" imput is because I can't understand anything else :shame:

I think Microsoft is/was try to unify it's products and software under one banner. Hence Windows 8. Now the Xbox, MS phone and pc can all be synced under one os. As I don't use either an Xbox or MS phone it's not something that I'm looking for but I don't see it as a hindrance either. I've been using win 8 for so long that the Metro/Start screen seems familiar and I don't mind using it at all. I also use win 8 as intended and don't have any third party apps running to make it look or act like anything else. I get around just as quickly, if not faster than any previous os. Neither am a 'fan-boy'. If a product doesn't work well then regardless who makes it I just won't use it.

I agree completely! And you can always add a start menu interface from one of the many available, and just not use the tile interface at all if you choose. At least I have found the crashes to be fewer, and the work part to go much faster ever before. And coming from using Macs also, I find Windows 8 a refreshing change from other Windows OS,s. There is more than enough software available for Windows 8 and more coming everyday. So as far as I see it Windows 8 is here to stay. And I for one am happy it is!

I appreciate your input and am glad to hear that you can have the best of both worlds and the ability to choose is a viable option.

I am tired of the look of windows 7 and I have an all-in-one CP with touch screen abilities that I am not encouraged to use with windows 7, so both of those selling points do appeal to me. Another plus is that Xbox is my gaming system. I seem to hear the word "fast" used a lot in connection with this os too. I think my fear is buying into a fairly new "gimmic" that won't stand up with time. My thinking is that I should give it more time to prove itself but on the other hand it looks so cool, smart and fresh...I like that!

Do either of you have touch screen? What are your thoughts on that option?

I don't and I am not sure I miss not having one. The mouse does just fine for me. But, I can see where a touch screen would be a whole lot better in the long run. I don't have an xbox either but, my Play Station 3 works with my new Sony laptop so, I am fine with that one. Yes it's a fast OS and by all rights the best Microsoft has made yet. Just to be fair, perhaps you can try it out at a dealer near you before you buy, and really see if you like it. I find it just fine for everything I do, and I also have it on my desktop. Hope this helps some?

I didn't see anything that excited me in the betas enough to upgrade from Windows 7. I'd have to replace a bunch of software that I got from Give Away Of The Day and don't see enough preformance increase to bother with the hassel. I'm a desktop user and don't use tablets or smart phones so I hate the new interface. I kow how to customize it but it's extra work.
Joe

I spent the $40 on the special offer and installed it (after 1 year with the pre - versions). I installed it in a virtual partition and although it is always accessible, I hardly ever use it. It is just too clumsy.

If they don't come up with something better, I will stay on W7 and my Linux Zorin systems. Especially the Zorin system is very fast and very elegant. I might even become a full time Linux user.

@ lorenkjr1: I did what you suggested and went and played with it. I was excited by the colors and the fact I seemed to understand how to operate it. I loved the wide range of options and the touch screen was fun to play with, it all felt so fresh and new. I decided to go for it only to find out that in order to upgrade from windows 7 to windows pro 8 (which is what you have to do) it would cost $100.00 dollars more then I had been quoted :upset: I will have to wait now so maybe that is a good thing, maybe it will get cheaper :friendly_wink:

@ whs: The only part of your post I understood clearly was the first sentence. Now I have to look up what a "Zorin system" is and find out why it is "elegant".

@ Joe S: The extra work was a draw back for me too until I went and played with it. It seemed more fun then work.

Ok, well, to the OP I will offer my comments & promise to not be overly techy. Many folks who have spent a bit of time @ this forum, already, know my feelings but, that's ok...

I have been using Windows 8 for about a year. I beta tested it for Microsoft in a dual-boot with Windows 7. I then migrated to the GA & said "bye-bye" to 7. I knew quite a bit of it/about it prior to beginning to, actually, work on or with it. It didn't come as a shock to me, much of it had me keenly interested and I had no prolonged agony learning it, that part took very little time or effort.

Yes, we have turned a corner on the computing road. It has been a very speedy journey & it's not slowing down as the landscape changes & evolves. Demands, usage, work-force and devices & more contribute to things like Windows 8. Yes things are becoming more & more 'mobility driven'.... nothing bad about that. So, yes, we now have an OS that is happy across multiple & varied devices. One that is happy mobile or not and either Touch or not. But, one where the 'Look & Feel' is consistent and where everything syncs (or can be shared) easily and well between both devices and Users. An OS with access that a person can take with them from device to device and have the same experience available.

Windows 8 shines in several areas. Security, stability, resource management and usage methodology, speed, connectivity (& collaboration), Feature-set, ease of use, uncluttered, not only cosmetically but, technically, as well. The performance of Windows 8 is blatant, striking & impressive. It's ease of installation & its 'intelligence' in that area is a real delight. That fact the so much is embedded and available & on, by default... Less demanding on End Users.

As for the UI, I won't expend many words on that cus it's so trivial or mundane. Start can be used or not used, can have a slew of Tiles or just one. Store APPs are all 100% optional, too. One can stay 100% of the time on Desktop, anyway, so all becomes a moot or, @ least, very subjective, customizable thing. But, it (the UI) is NOT a problem, slows nothing, makes nothing awkward or arduous. Things are there when & if YOU want /need them & out of your way the rest of the time.

Anyway, it's cool what Windows 8 is, what it has in it, what it can do & how well it does what's asked of it. It is smooth, snappy and slick. Both hardware & software compatibility w/ it are very good. Win8 is good, the best Windows OS to date and an important stepping stone to future computing.

I should include that the design goals achieved that focus on & cater to Enterprise are terrific & likable by that environment. The fact that Enterprise can easily create & build APPs useful to their particular 'house' & workers has definite appeal for business.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For Drew: WHOOP, there it is :star:! What a lovely way to sum it all up, very uncluttered and easily translated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well maybe the cheapy prices will come back. I certainly don't know. But, I will say this. I think the future of Windows is going to pretty much look like this from now on. I am glad you liked it. I know I do. Take care and let us know if you do make the switch!!!!

I was at the pawn shop to sell some broken and unused jewlery in the hopes I would get enough money to pay for my windows 8 upgrade. I did get enough money then mentioned to the girl what I might possibly spend the money on and she said "We can up grade your PC here for $170.00 dollars and our guy guarantees his work." I am not sure I trust that option/guarantee. I think I would rather pay $200.00 and have the "Geek Squad" do it using my membership.

Now all I have to do is convince myself to spend that money. Thank you all for your support of windows 8 and the good things you had to say about it.

Doing the upgrade is quite straight forward. Let me & others here help & guide you. Do it yourself & save giving anyone money to do it for you. If you don't own the Upgrade, already, from when it was $40, it is $200 for it... w/out paying someone labour in addition.

Just something to consider.

I have helped a few clients get set up & going w/ Windows 8 and only took a few minutes to explain things, do or give a couple things & some show-n-tell. They've been fine & happily enjoying Win8, ever since.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg

Drew, thanks for the offer :D. I have a paid membership for the Geek Squad at Best Buy. They will do the install for no charge, but I have to pay for the Windows 8 Pro. If I can find a cheaper price on the Windows 8 Pro I might take you up on your offer. I will be searching the internet!

Doing the upgrade is quite straight forward. Let me & others here help & guide you. Do it yourself & save giving anyone money to do it for you. If you don't own the Upgrade, already, from when it was $40, it is $200 for it... w/out paying someone labour in addition.

Just something to consider.

I have helped a few clients get set up & going w/ Windows 8 and only took a few minutes to explain things, do or give a couple things & some show-n-tell. They've been fine & happily enjoying Win8, ever since.

Cheers,
Drew
View attachment 1237

Hi Drew, I am working on my friends laptop she has windows 8 and i can't keep Java enabled so she can play here games on pogo . I did everything that java said to do for windows 8 and when she goes to pogo to play a game and click on the game it won't detect java and ask for you to enable or re download it. Is Their a way to get it working?

It would have been better to have started your own thread on the problem, Roger. But. There are some sites, in particular game sites, that automatically monitor updates. Whilst it si bad practise, the computer monitors on such sites (I belong to one!9 report an out of date as a defunct installation. This may not be so, in your case. But first try and update your java. If that doesn't remedy the situation, then you could follow the instruction on the site to download and install. Be wary that this is not false, though. Currently this is one of the easiest exploitations on the web, for planting a virus on your machine.
Just a thought. Does the message actually prevent you from entering/playing the game. It does for me with the site I mentioned.

It looks to me as if "Windows 8" is setting out to turn your computer options into your smart phone options.
My theory is that telecom, at least in the US, is going through rapid changes. It is now apparent, that using the Internet, you can pretty much make calls anywhere, at a fraction of the price. Most of the major cellphone carriers in the United States no longer offer unlimited data plans. However, some contract law does prevent them from forcing people who have not renewed or altered their contract from removing them from unlimited data. They are trying hard to get people off unlimited data, and this is because, in the future, everyone knows that no one is going to be using anything BUT data for telecom. If the data is free, who makes money, but Microsoft Skype, Google Voice, etc? Oh yes, that is the real catalyst you better believe it. Any telecommunications that do not occur over the Internet are obsolete today. In fact, if you look at some of the new plans from major carriers, they have tiered them based almost solely on the data allowance. Metered Internet without an enormous backlash is what most ISPs and communication companies have been trying to get away with since the 90's.

Last edited:
Thanks Davehc for the information.
Drew, I will try the manual one on here laptop and see if that works. She does have the updated one and i'll remove it.

Back
Top Bottom