Windows 7 Obtain Windows 7 DVD

cwpatterson1

When I first got Windows 7, I got the Home Premium upgrade from Windows Vista rather than doing a fresh install. I purchased a legitimate copy and downloaded the upgrade from DigitalRiver. At the time I chose not to buy the backup DVD, but now I have a reason to do a fresh install of Windows 7 on my machine. Is there any way to legally obtain a Windows 7 ISO or DVD without purchasing a new license?

Here is the site & links. Be sure to download the correct version of Windows 7, and the correct bit version (32 or 64 bit).

Link Removed - Not Found

Hope this helps. Note that this is a huge iso file. If your ISP connection is flakey, use a download manager, such as "Down Them All" on Firefox. That way, if the connection breaks, it'll pick up where it left off. I used it to download Windows 8 CP, I had both the 64 & 32 bit versions in under 3 hours.

Best of Luck,

Cat

Last edited:
Thanks so much! Currently downloading the correct ISO. And the license key I got for my upgrade install is legitimate for a clean install too, correct?

Cool, Wolfgang has pointed you @ the "How To". Just mind you don't check the "Activate Automatically" & do the activation, manually, later... it's all in the instructions to which, Wolfgang directed you. Thanks, Wolfgang for saving me, finding it for CW.

& cw, you're welcome, glad if, was able to help.

Cheers,
Drew

Thanks for the info, whs and Drew. But I don't think I downloaded the ISO when I purchased the upgrade. If I did, I can't find it. I went to the link that catilley posted above to download the proper ISO for my system. Am I able to do a regular clean install with that ISO?
Here's the link again:
Link Removed - Not Found

I hope you will be able to activate a normal .iso with an upgrade key. I vaguely remember that there was a potential problem, but I forgot the details.

Hmm in that case do you know where I can get the upgrade ISO? Like I said, I don't think I downloaded it when I purchased the upgrade.

The ISO should work. Usually, when customers purchases the upgrade program, there's an iso file downloaded, along with the key that's emailed (those that are bought from the MS Store, where is that iso?). Usually, this isn't the case, it's mainly users wanting to use upgrade media to do a clean install. Check out this post, it's the best that I can find:

Can Windows-7 Home Premium 32bit retail full install be used with a Window-7 Home Premium 32bit Upgrade license key? - Super User

Make sure to follow the instructions carefully.

Cat

Last edited:
Back