Windows 7 Oem or Retail

pizzaboy

from my windows 7 disk.....how can i tell if its a OEM or FULL RETAIL version......

some mentioned about checking the hash key...

there must be a way of checking....thanks

it should be mentioned on the CD but you can download pidxchk.exe from the internet and check the activation key - it will tell you what key it is.

i think i was miss informed...........i though there was a way of popping your disk into the dvd drive and checking the disk

reason why i ask...i brought a genuine disk off my boss at work.....

he didint have the key ,

thats why i wondered if there was a way off checking just the disk

you buy a genuine disk without key? - pretty worthless deal then! This is a genuine OEM 7 DVD - note the print not for retail

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
Look at the sources folder on the dvd.

If it is an oem version there wil be a $OEM$ folder under the sorces folder and the product key will be in the file PID.txt.

If you install an oem version of win 7 it wil automatically be activated with the key that is in PID.txt

Attachments

• Capture 1.jpg
    Capture 1.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 686
  • Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 612
Last edited:
Look at the sources folder on the dvd.

If it is an oem version there wil be a $OEM$ folder under the sorces folder and the product key will be in the file PID.txt.

If you install an oem version of win 7 it wil automatically be activated with the key that is in PID.txt
I think this only applies to a OEM disk provided by a computer manufacturer (specially modified\branded by the manufacturer) and intended to perform an unattended install on the machine it came with.

There is an OEM disk offered by MS at a discount.
It is intended to be used by a manufacturer to install Win 7 on a newly built machine.
It does not install unattended. It will ask for the product key at the appropriate time.
As such it should come with a hologram type sticker on the packaging that is intended to be placed on the newly built computer somewhere.
It contains the product key text.

A retail product will have the product keys inside the packaging, I say keys because the retail version of Win 7 includes both a 32 bit and a 64 bit DVD.

If you have bought a genuine DVD from your boss it should have come with a product key(s).

If he simply made a copy of his DVD then it is a pirate copy by default and the key he has for his original
won't work with your copy.

If he supplied you with a multiple install DVD (meant to be installed on multiple machines in his business) then he should have the key.

There are tools available that will search then registry of an installed system and display the product key.

I don't know of any tool to access the key on a disk because there is no product key on the install disk.
With the possible exception of the above mentioned unattended install OEM disk.

Think about it why would MS place the product key on an install DVD or CD for someone to extract.

BTW, regardless of whether you buy a full retail, OEM, upgrade or Multiple version of Win 7, what you are doing is buying a license(s).

Last edited:
Back