Windows 7 Old Peripherals looking for COM 1 ports in USB only computer with Windows 7

k9kissez

I just bought a new computer with Windows 7. It is a HP Pavillion and only has USB ports. I NEED to use old peripheral(s) with serial and parallel cables. I have bought adapters for both and everything connects okay, but then I can't use the software because it's looking for a COM 1 port or an LPT port.

Does any of this make sense? If so, how do I go about finding a COM/LPT on Windows 7 (if it even has one)?

Thanks

The company was not sure if it was windows compatible...the only error that comes up is that it can't fine COM 1 or LPT1.

This peripheral and it's software cost over $5,000 (combined) so I'd be VERY upset if I could no longer use it.

It's an embroidery card reader/writer.....

Thanks.

The drivers for your adaptors should take care of that for you.

Did you install them?
Do yo have the latest versions?

Because I have an earlier machine/software, and the company has, of course, come out with newer (more expensive) machines, they no longer support mine.

I do have the last drivers provided...

Does the solution really relate to drivers? I don't understand the COM 1 LPT1 stuff at all. I know when I used Windows XP, I had a switch box for my printer and the reader/writer that worked.

I tried that setup, but get the same messages.

Because I have an earlier machine/software, and the company has, of course, come out with newer (more expensive) machines, they no longer support mine.

Not the computer... the usb to serial and usb to parallel adaptors. They should come with their own drivers...

The COM and LPT ports are created "virtually" in the drivers which convert to USB so the adaptor can convert it back...

Try to find the manufacturer's site for the adaptors you purchased. It's likely they have drivers for download.

Back