Fenway16

Honorable Member
I have Picasa and Adobe Photoshop 9 running on my win7 - I am thinking of purchasing a laptop with w10. Does anyone know of a list of programs that would be compatible with 10 so that I can check these 2 programs out. Picasa was wiped out a long time ago but I managed to find it and install it on my w7 pc. Also, if I get 10 on a laptop will that affect my desktop w7? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Solution
Most applications that were supported on Windows 7 should work without issue on Windows 10. Both of these are EOL products and as such likely have known vulnerabilities. I'd look at getting a supported version of Photoshop. Dark Table is a nice replacement for Picasa and is also free.
Most applications that were supported on Windows 7 should work without issue on Windows 10. Both of these are EOL products and as such likely have known vulnerabilities. I'd look at getting a supported version of Photoshop. Dark Table is a nice replacement for Picasa and is also free.

Solution
So I would lose all of my Picasa arrangements on Dark Table? I have photos backed up so guess I could load them on to the app you mention. Also, will w10 on new laptop affect my desktop w7 - still hanging on to 7 as I do like it. I can run two different os on two different pc's correct? Adobe Photoshop 9 is EOL? So I would have to buy new PS? Very expensive as I recall. PS9 wasn't too bad but sure hope I can use it on 10. Thanks.

Thanks so much. Also, what is your opinion of refurbished pc's. I'm looking at a Dell E5410 which is 6 or 7 years old but has much better specs than my current Compaq so presumably would run faster. The Compaq is also 7 years old but is so slow and sluggish due to its poor processor.

Depends how much they want for it. Honestly you can probably buy a really cheap new computer and it will perform a lot better than a 6 or 7 year computer. Components are constantly being improved. Even a difference of 2 years can be significant.

Well the price is right - 179.... figure it will be good for a couple of years at least until finances improve for me. Really cheap new computers are still in the 380 to 450 range - looking at a BJ ad for those prices. This refurber has a 91% positive approval rating - Thanks for your thoughts.

Well the price is right - 179.... figure it will be good for a couple of years at least until finances improve for me. Really cheap new computers are still in the 380 to 450 range - looking at a BJ ad for those prices. This refurber has a 91% positive approval rating - Thanks for your thoughts.

What about buying the components and assembling it yourself? Wouldn't it be cheaper? You can learn and get experience with PC hardware. We can assist you with that as long as you give us details.

Can't buy laptop parts and build. Desktops are sold underwater, meaning they're sold for less than they cost from the manufacturer and you get an OEM Windows license so it's actually a bit more expensive building one.

Can't buy laptop parts and build. Desktops are sold underwater, meaning they're sold for less than they cost from the manufacturer and you get an OEM Windows license so it's actually a bit more expensive building one.

I know it is not possible to buy laptop parts and build it but he also wrote about refurbished PCs and I thought maybe he could get a little cheaper by buying the components separately.

Back