Windows 7 Online Armor install causing (0xc0000142) error - Is Online Armor reliable?

RoddyJones

Win 7 Pro
Anti Virus - Latest Avast at at Jul 11.

I read good reviews of Online Armor and installed the current free one (v5?)

Once it installs and restarts, I can not get any programs to load like Mic Word, Firefox, Avast Anti Virus etc. I did close all programs and with Avast I turned to 'OFF' all the shields before install.

The error that arises is

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142.Click OK to close the application

I used System Restore point to fix. Restarted twice, reinstalled, same issue.

Please advise otherwise i need to look elsewhere.

Thanks

I would post the Minidump from the crash in the BSOD forum for a more in depth analysis of your problem. See the BSOD forum on how to post a BSOD crash dump.

Win 7 Pro
Anti Virus - Latest Avast at at Jul 11.

I read good reviews of Online Armor and installed the current free one (v5?)

Once it installs and restarts, I can not get any programs to load like Mic Word, Firefox, Avast Anti Virus etc. I did close all programs and with Avast I turned to 'OFF' all the shields before install.

The error that arises is

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142.Click OK to close the application

I used System Restore point to fix. Restarted twice, reinstalled, same issue.

Please advise otherwise i need to look elsewhere.

Thanks

IMHO Online Armor Firewall is a good program & has been tested as compatible with Win 7.
Emsisoft Online Armor Firewall is tested “Compatible with Windows 7″ | Anti-Malware Reviews

I note that you are also seeking advice from their Customer Support / Forum -

[Online Armor] Online Armor install causing (0xc0000142) error - Emsisoft Support Forums

Have you read the last response from Cat Princess there?

Did you choose a System Restore point PRIOR to installing Online Armor?

FYI The inbuilt Win 7 Firewall is considered adequate.

IMHO Online Armor Firewall is a good program & has been tested as compatible with Win 7.
Emsisoft Online Armor Firewall is tested “Compatible with Windows 7″ | Anti-Malware Reviews

I note that you are also seeking advice from their Customer Support / Forum -

[Online Armor] Online Armor install causing (0xc0000142) error - Emsisoft Support Forums

Have you read the last response from Cat Princess there?

Did you choose a System Restore point PRIOR to installing Online Armor?

FYI The inbuilt Win 7 Firewall is considered adequate.

Hi JMH,

Yes i posted over on the emisoft forums as well, I thought it would be another direct avenue being the actual manufacturer , are cross postings okay?

I just replied over there,
I do not think i could actually get into the control panel to use 'uninstall' so I simply used a previous restore point.
I have actually gone with another firewall for now, with no similar problems to OA, not to say it OA is not a decent firewall or that its not compatable with Win 7 which it obviously is. I may return to it.
Thanks for your help.

I created a system restore point just in case which I did end up needing.

BTW should i also use 'Windows Backup' or 'System Image' - is that a more comprehensive alternative to system restore points?

Iam now using Comodo firewall (but not its Defender Plus setting) and Avast for Antivirus and there seems to be no problems so far.. Why is it that Windows firewall is considered adequate? is it due to the 64bit OS.

I find it very easy to set or check outgoing rules/items in Comodo or Sygate previously but not so in Win Firewall.

* Cross postings at other Forums may have advantages / disadvantages both from the perspective of the volunteer helping & yourself. Often confusion / misunderstandings can occur.
Should you feel it necessary in the future I would suggest it is of benefit to both / all Forums if a link could be provided.

* Re Win Backup /System Image /System Restore.
I would recommend that you have at least one weekly System Restore point created plus one weekly Backup made{ the latter preferably to an external source}
Best to have many choices should the worst scenario arrive.
Links below for you to peruse.

System Restore: frequently asked questions

Restore Points (Windows)

What is a system image?

Restore your computer from a system image backup

* Re Win Firewall..Refer the link below.
I use the Win Firewall here { on 3 laptops} coupled with a very good router / modem Firewall. With safe surfing practices there has never been an intrusion here... thus far!

Do You Need a Third-Party Firewall?

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-security/articles/32023.aspx

*Should you have any further questions please let us know.

Last edited:
If i could just add a little info on this.i found installing avast FIRST was beneficial as avast was actually sandboxing online armor and preventing it from starting.Dont know if this is related to your problem.
Regards.:p

Back
Top Bottom