Windows 7 Outlook 2007 Question

TigerJon73

First off, I am posting this question here because I cannot find another forum that appears to be of any help. Please let me know if there is a better place w/in Windows 7 Forums to post it.

My question is, I want to know how to set up a second email address within my existing Outlook account. I had it se up this way in Outlook 2003 where incoming mail from both email accounts would dump into a single inbox. Also, I could change the email account I would send mail with by a drop down menu on the tool bar. I found some instructions on how to do this (and it's even more slick in that you have two different inboxes you can switch back and forth by simply clicking on the inbox of the desired email account), however, the directions were only if you use MS Exchange; I am using POP3 accounts. Any help on how to do this or where to look for nfo on how to do it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi TigerJon,

Issue:
Send mails from one email inbox to a folder

Solution:

You will need to create Rules to do so following are the ways of creating rules:

How rules help you manage messages

A rule is an action that Microsoft Outlook takes automatically on an arriving or sent message that meets the conditions that you specify in the rule. You can choose many conditions and actions by using the Rules and Alerts Wizard. Rules do not operate on message that have been read, only on those that are unread.
Rules fall into one of two general categories: organization and notification. The Rules and Alerts Wizard contains templates for the most commonly used rules.

• Stay organized These are rules that help you to file and follow up on messages. For example, you can create a rule for messages from a specific sender, such as Bobby Moore, with the word "sales" in the Subject line, to be flagged for follow-up, categorized as Sales, and moved to a folder called Bobby's Sales.
  • Stay up-to-date These are rules that notify you in some way when you receive a particular message. For example, you can create a rule that automatically sends an alert to your mobile telephone when you receive a message from a family member.
  • Start from a blank rule These are rules that you create from scratch.
Link Removed due to 404 Error
Fig. 1 The Rules and Alerts Wizard contains several predefined rules, called templates.
Exceptions

You can add exceptions to your rules for special circumstances, such as when a message is flagged for follow-up action or is marked with high importance. A rule is not applied to a message if even one of the exceptions that you specify is met.

Create a rule from a template

• In the Navigation Pane (Navigation Pane: The column on the left side of the Outlook window that includes panes such as Shortcuts or Mail and the shortcuts or folders within each pane. Click a folder to show the items in the folder.), click Mail.
  • On the Tools menu, click Rules and Alerts.
  • If you have more than one e-mail account, in the Apply changes to this folder list, select the Inbox that you want.
  • Click New Rule.
  • Under Step 1: Select a template, select the template that you want from the Stay Organized or Stay Up to Date collection of templates.
  • Under Step 2: Edit the rule description, click an underlined value. For example, if you click the people or distribution list link, the Address Book opens.
  • Under Step 1: Select condition(s), select the conditions that you want the messages to meet for the rule to apply.
  • Under Step 2: Edit the rule description, click an underlined value if you have not done so already, and then click Next.
  • Under Step 1: Select action(s), select the action that you want the rule to take when the specified conditions are met.
  • Under Step 2: Edit the rule description, click an underlined value if you have not done so already, and then click Next.
  • Under Step 1: Select exception(s), select any exceptions to the rule, and then click Next.
  • To finish creating the rule, enter a name for the rule, and then select any other options that you want.
    • If you want to run this rule on messages that already are in one of your folders, select the Run this rule now on messages already in "folder" check box.
    • To apply this rule to all your e-mail accounts and the Inbox associated with each account, select the Create this rule on all accounts check box.
  • Click Finish.

Create a rule from scratch

To create a rule by choosing your own conditions, actions, and exceptions, do the following:

• In the Navigation Pane (Navigation Pane: The column on the left side of the Outlook window that includes panes such as Shortcuts or Mail and the shortcuts or folders within each pane. Click a folder to show the items in the folder.), click Mail.
  • If you have more than one e-mail account, in the Apply changes to this folder list, select the Inbox that you want.
  • Click New Rule.
  • Under Start from a blank rule, select either Check messages when they arrive or Check messages after sending, and then click Next.
  • Under Step 1: Select condition(s), select the conditions that you want the messages to meet for the rule to apply.
  • Under Step 1: Select action(s), select the action that you want the rule to take when the specified conditions are met.
  • Under Step 1: Select exception(s), select any exceptions to the rule, and then click Next.
  • To finish creating the rule, enter a name for the rule, and then select any other options that you want.
    • If you want to run this rule on messages that already are in one of your folders, select the Run this rule now on messages already in "folder" check box.
    • To apply this rule to all your e-mail accounts and the Inbox associated with each account, select the Create this rule on all accounts check box.
  • Click Finish.

Create a rule from a message

You can create a rule directly from a message. For example, you can create a rule to move messages from someone to a specific folder.

• Right-click the message that you want to base the rule on, and then click Create Rule on the shortcut menu.
In the Create Rule dialog box, select the check boxes for the options that are already filled in with information from your selected message.

• Select the Move the item to folder check box.
  • Click an existing folder or click New to create a new folder to store the messages.
  • To add more conditions, actions, or exceptions to the rule, click Advanced Options, and then follow the rest of the instructions in the Rules and Alerts Wizard.
Tip To run the rule as soon as you create it, select the Run this rule now on the messages already in folder check box on the last page of the Rules and Alerts Wizard.
All the messages in your Inbox, or any folder that you choose, that meet the conditions and exceptions associated with the rule are moved to the specified folder. To test your new rule, open your new folder. Were the correct messages moved?

Run a rule periodically but not all the time

If you want to run a rule periodically but not all the time, do the following:

• In the Rules and Alerts dialog box, turn the rule off by clearing the check box next to the rule.
  • Click Run Rules Now.
  • In the Run Rules Now dialog box, under Select rules to run, select the check box next to the rule that you want to run.
  • Select the folder that you want to apply the rule to.
  • Select the category of messages that you want to apply the rule to.
For example, you can apply the rule only to unread messages in a folder.

• Click Run Now.

Server-based rules and client-only rules

Server-based rules If you have a Microsoft Exchange account, the server can apply rules to your messages even if Outlook is not running. These are called server-based rules. The rules must be set to be applied to messages when they are delivered to your Inbox on the server, and the rules must be able to run to completion on the server. For example, a rule cannot run to completion on the server if the action specifies that a message be printed. If a rule cannot be applied on the server, it is applied when you start Outlook.
Client-only rules A "client" is the e-mail program that runs on an individual's computer. A rule that cannot be applied by the server is a "client-only rule" because it runs only on the individual's computer. If your list of rules contains rules that can be run on the server as well as those that cannot, the server-based rules are applied first, followed by the client-only rules.

Delivery receipts, voting responses, and out-of-office notices

Delivery receipts, read receipts, voting responses, and out-of-office notices are treated as messages. For example, when you create a rule that moves items (item: An item is the basic element that holds information in Outlook (similar to a file in other programs). Items include e-mail messages, appointments, contacts, tasks, journal entries, notes, posted items, and documents.) with the word "meeting" in the Subject box to a specific folder, all delivery receipts, voting responses, and out-of-office messages that meet this condition are moved as well.
Note If a voting response is moved out of the Inbox, the response is not automatically tracked in the original message.

Thanks and regards,
Manjeet

Manjeet,

Thank you so much for the time you put into responding to my question, but I think we're not on the same page. I don't wish to set up any message rules. I have 2 email addresses (one for work and my personal one). When I launch Outlook, I want to be able to access both email accounts from the same page (incoming mail from both accounts dumps into the same inbox or both accounts have their own boxes laid out in the left-hand pane. Also, with OL 2003, I was able to switch between accounts for sending new messages by toggling a dropdown menu in the task bar that allowed me to switch between accounts. Thanks.

TJ

Why not create a work folder in personal folders then create a rule that sends all work related e-mails to the work folder while at sime time it will also put the e-mail in the unread mail folder. I do this for my various accounts using Outlook 2010 on my main machine and Outlook 2007 on my laptop

Open Outlook 2007, on the main menu(s) across the top select Tools, then Account Settings, under the E-mail tab, select the icon that says new. Now just follow the bouncing ball. You will need your email address, password, pop-3 server name (like pop.gmail.com), your smpt server name (like smtp.gmail.com) and you will need to know if your email server for this second account requires any specific settings regarding SSL encrypted connection ports, which you can enter under the button that says "More Settings" under the tab that says Advanced. You can ususally find this information from your provider or from a google search. If we can help further please post back and let us know

Sorry for this. Am having trouble having difficulty logging with id/Password after I received a message telling me they were accepted.

Chuck

Tried to delete this post but have been unable! :confused:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom