Windows 7 Outlook 2007 - the messaging interface has returned an unknown error

WightWalker

Having backed up the Outlook Inbox, Sent Item, etc to pst files prior to the build of Windows 7 Home, I get this message when I try & import the data back into Outlook.

A Google search would indicate that this is a pretty common occurrence on other platforms as well but does anyone know why this should happen & if there is a fix for it.

Incidentially, it worked the first time but failed when I tried to add a newer set of pst files.

After trawling through Google searches on this topic, which are frightening by the number of problems there are, I found something, which whilst not the answer, pointed me to the solution.

The article suggested running Outlook in safe mode. Whilst looking at the properties for Outlook - I discovered that that Outlook 2003 from which I had upgraded from was set to run in Windows 2000 compatability mode - this was to change the background colours from blue to the basic or classic colours.

During the upgrade to Outlook 2007, that compatibilty had been reprocated. Remove Windows 2000 compatability & I can now perform pst import/export.

Back
Top Bottom