Windows 7 PC not shutting down completely (fans keep blowing)

Lapino

I have an issue with Windows7 which I can't seem to solve. Whenever I try to shutdown the computer (this is really shutdown, not sleep or hibernate), Windows7 performs the whole process of shutting down services, screen etc but the fans keep blowing. The pc becomes completely unresponsive (so keyboard, mouse, video stops working) but the fans keep running. The only way to get out of this is keeping the power button pressed for a few secs.

Mainboard: Asus P5B-E with latest firmware

I tried installing the Intel chipset drivers from the Intel site, tried windows updates, tried putting my harddrive on different SATA ports and switched the power settings (S1, S3 etc) in bios. I have Vista on a different harddrive than my Windows7 drive and Vista has no problem at all.

Anyone got an idea what might be causing this?

Was having the same issues, especialy after uninstalling large applications (100-259 mb), unistalled nrton antivirus (installed clamwin antivirus instead) all seems ok, not completly satisfied that norton was the issue!

I have the same shutdown issue, with the same motherboard (PB5-E). Windows unloads everything from RAM, does what it needs to do basically, but then forgets to turn the power off. I think it's just the fact that the proper drivers haven't been distributed yet, I'm hoping.

This is how I fixed the problem on my P5K and it may work for you as well

Open device manager and expand the IEEE-1394 Bus Host Controllers then right click the controller and select properties, under power managment click "Allow the computer to turn off this device.

Last edited:
This is how I fixed the problem on my P5K and it may work for you as well

Open device manager and expand the IEEE-1394 Bus Host Controllers then right click the controller and select properties, under power managment click "Allow the computer to turn off this device.

I took @jellyhead `s advice and it worked, ,my MB is Asus P5-B Plus.

Thanks

Back