Windows 7 ping in online games

R3av3r

Hello everyone!
A week ago i have installed Windows 7 professional, and i have a little problem.
The download speed is ok and the speedtest also look fine, like on XP, but when i installed Steam(CS) and War3(DoTA) i have jumping ping. For example i play 5 sec on ping 40-50 and then for 5 sec 150 and again 5 sec 40-50 and again.
It's impossible to play like this. Maybe someone know how to help me? I've searched for answer but nothing seems to help me. Please help me, i don't want to back to Xp. And sorry for my english.

Do you have wireless internet or not? If so, do you have a port forwarded? and do you have the right drivers for your network card installed, because some network cards have new drivers for windows 7 that work better then the earlier drivers.

no i don't have wireless. I got Gigabyte motherboard, model M57SLI-S4 and it have integrated network card. I don't know where i can find drivers only for my network card.

Then I don't really know what the problem is. If you have a router you can try port forwarding.

Last edited:
..., are u stupid or something?
This motherboard got NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI chipset...
so if u don't know how to help me, don't try to be a smart guy =]

When installing the nforce driver did you omit or allow the nforce firewall app...cant recall the name it's summit like network manager, as this is known to mess about with performance also try installing simple TCP services on add/remove windows features may help. It's also obvious to check firewalls and portforwarding, as previously mentioned, as similar issues arose on Vista due to Vista/Win7 having a more complicated 2-way firewall unlike XP. Might help to make a custom inbound and outbound rule to that effect allowing all prgrams to full access of ICMPv4's echo request (ping).

Last edited:
..., are u stupid or something?
This motherboard got NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI chipset...
so if u don't know how to help me, don't try to be a smart guy =]

For future reference : - It certainly doesn't hurt to be civil to people offering suggestions to a problem you yourself have not fixed. It always saves time to be methodical and state full specs, and what you have tried thus far, otherwise you will get people telling you to try obvious things from the start as we tend to treat everyone as entry level noobs until proven otherwise.

Last edited:
Well I am really sorry that I was unable to help you. But I just need to mention that you need to reboot your computer after stopping the service in order for the change to take effect (I mentioned it just in case if you haven't tryed it)

Did you try diagnosing if your connection to your local gateway stays perfect?

My problem was that while playing normal ping packages (run -> cmd -> ping -t <local_gw_IP>) were lagging to my local router at my home.

If only the game shows your ping high, but the connection to your local gateway is fine during play, then you need to keep looking for the cause.

Back