Windows 7 Please help with PCI card

crwmlw

Cansomeone please help me here. As you can see im new to this forum as well as new to Vista. My old PC with XP died and now I have a Vista pc and what I did was take out the usb pci card and 1394 card and tried installing it in the slots of the Vista PC with no luck, doesnt seem that the cards are getting recognized. One of the slots that I made free was I took out the modem card and tried installing the modem slot and the other free slot and still no luck, can someone please help?

Hi crwmlw,
welcome to the forum. Please supply more information regarding the spec of your hardware..
Thanks
kemical

Not sure what brand usb and firewire card they are. They are both pci cards. I have a Compaq PC with Vista. Not exactly sure what information I can give? One card is a 4 port usb and the other is a 3 port firewire 1394 card. What other info can i supply to help please?

Also I did remove the modem that came with the pc to free up another slot for one of the 2 cards. But no matter what slot i use it still doesnt recognize it.

Hi crwmlw

To give us some more information, click on "control panel" then double click on "system". Copy the information under "system" from "processor" down to "system type" on your next post.
Next go to "device manager" in the Control Panel and double click. Look down the list to "network adapters" and click on the small square box with the cross on it. Copy any name that opens below and include also with next post.

Ok here is what I have:

Manufacture- Hewlett Packard Company
Model- SR5507F
Rating -3.0 Windows Exp Index Unrated
Processor-amd athlon dual core processor 4050e 2.10GHZ
Memory-2.93GB
System Type- 32Bit OS

Netowork Adapters- Nvidia NForce 10/100 MBPS networking controller

Just a lot of problems, hard drive on its way out, power supply went bad and it was just plain old and wasnt worth sinking any more money into it.

It might be worth checking the card makers web site to see if any software or information is available regarding vista

Try looking in device manager. You may see a couple of yellow question marks. If not then it may be that the cards are not compatible with vista then again with some cards you have to put the software on first before it will be seen...Mind you, if your not sure on the manufacturer then this is going to be difficult..maybe...
If you do see the question marks then you could right-click on them and choose update driver. It may find one for the card but it's doubtful.
If the above is proving fruitless, pull the cards out and have a real good look over the card. You might be lucky and spot a name..

Ok Thanks. Im pretty good with computers as far as this goes until I got Vista :)
Now I feel like I was in the dark ages, everything was just plug and play with my XP system. Anything I threw at it worked. I just bought a bluetooth dongle thats a 3Com and I couldnt get that to work so I called 3Com and sure enough NOT compatible with vista. So it it possible these cards wont work with vista unless of course I can get the drivers? Im looking at these cards and all I see is whats on the chipset.

Back