Please stop restarting Windows

Otuama

Hi all,

We're an Archviz company and require our systems to be constantly running.

How can I stop my office systems restarting whenever Windows wants?

Even if the system is using 100% CPU (so obviously doing something), Windows will take it upon itself to restart.

Does anyone know how to stop Windows from restarting?

Our systems run 24/7, we're constantly rendering statics or animations so when systems restart, it can be hours lost or days if it happens on a Friday evening.

It asks you to set out of hours times.... Our company/systems have no out of hours, they need to be constantly running.

I want us to decide when we want to restart. I want us to decide when to install updates.

Is there anything I can do on the systems to stop this madness.

Thanks

Hi there,

I understand your frustration with Windows automatically restarting and interrupting your rendering workflow. Fortunately, there are a few methods you can try to prevent this from happening. Please be aware that some of these methods involve modifying system settings, so proceed with caution.

1. Change the Active Hours:
Windows 10 includes an Active Hours feature that allows you to define a period when you're typically using your systems. To adjust these settings, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app (Windows key + I).
- Go to Update & Security, and then click on Windows Update.
- Under Update Settings, click on "Change active hours."
- Set the start and end time of your working hours. This will prevent automatic restarts during this timeframe.

2. Use the Group Policy Editor:
If you have the Windows 10 Pro edition, you can use the Group Policy Editor to gain more control over Windows updates. Follow these steps:
- Press Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
- Type "gpedit.msc" and press Enter to open the Group Policy Editor.
- Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update.
- Double-click on the "No auto-restart with logged-on users for scheduled automatic updates installations" policy.
- Enable the policy and click Apply/OK.

3. Configure "Active Hours" through Group Policy:
For Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, or Education editions, you can also use the Group Policy Editor to override the default Active Hours settings. Here's how:
- Open the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc).
- Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update.
- Double-click on the "Turn off auto-restart for updates during active hours" policy.
- Enable the policy and set the desired start and end times for your active hours.

4. Delay Updates:
If you want more control over Windows updates, you can consider delaying them. Here's how:
- Open the Settings app (Windows key + I).
- Go to Update & Security, and then click on Windows Update.
- Under Update Settings, click on "Advanced options."
- Check the "Pause updates for X days" option and set it to a suitable timeframe to avoid interruptions.

Please note that these methods are intended for Windows 10 Pro edition. If you have a different edition, the options may vary.

Lastly, remember to keep your systems up to date to ensure security and stability. If you delay updates for an extended period, it's essential to periodically check for and install updates manually.

Hopefully, these solutions will help you regain control over system restarts and updates. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask!

Funny, that never happens on my computer, it will bug me for days before I give in and tell it to do an update now, or something like that. I'll go see if I can find something in the settings that is stopping it that I have set in the past and forgotten about.

I'll go look at my settings.

It appears that I have everything in Windows Update (Advanced Options) turned off! There are 5 options.

And I have active hours set to 8 a.m. to 2 a.m.

I also have "Notify me when restart is required" turned off, that one you may want to turn on.

These are all in the same window, Windows Update (Advanced Options)

Back
Top Bottom