Windows 7 Positioning Microsoft's On-Screen Keyboard

kevphil

Honorable Member
I am using the on-screen keyboard in Win7 64 Pro. I have a Cintiq monitor and am looking for a way to place the keyboard in a specific position. I have it set to "float", which when I call it up puts the keyboard at the top of the screen, centered. In the one particular app where I need the keyboard most, that position obscures some important info in the menu-ribbon bar. Is there a way to make the keyboard appear in a specific place? (Like, say, 40 pixels left of top center.)

I am not looking for a programming solution (I'm too dumb), but rather something along the lines of a utility. Thanks!

For desktop mode, you can still run On-Screen Keyboard. You can position anywhere, as it will run in a window.

%windir%\system32\osk.exe

For desktop mode, you can still run On-Screen Keyboard. You can position anywhere, as it will run in a window.

%windir%\system32\osk.exe
I have a button on my Cintiq that lets me show/hide the OSK quickly, which is what I want, because I'd like it out of the way most of the time. But if everytime I show the OSK, I then have to move it, it's just one more step. I'm sorry if this just sounds crazy picky, but I want as fluid a workflow as possible. There are only so many buttons on my Cintiq, so I still need some access to a keyboard...

But thanks, Mike!

Could try ModernMix to run Modern UI apps in desktop mode but may end up with the same problem.

Perhaps Cintiq has new drivers / firmware? You're probably not the only one having this problem. Take a look at the manufacturer's pages. Or, and this is politely, read the manual... :cool:

Last edited:
Back