Windows 7 printing via terminal services

ark007

My Windows 7 PC can't find a matching printer driver when I connect to my terminal server. Even when it looks like I have the exact same printer driver installed on both my Windows 7 PC and the terminal server, the printer does not show up in my RDP session.

For example, I even downloaded the basic "HP LaserJet 4" driver from the Windows Update Catalog but this driver appears to not match the printer driver with the same name installed on the terminal server. Yet my Vista PC successfully prints using the "HP LaserJet 4" driver when RDP connected to the same terminal server.

How can I get my RDP sessions to recognize my Windows 7 printer drivers?

When facing issues where your Windows 7 PC is unable to find a matching printer driver for your terminal server during an RDP session, there are several steps you can take to troubleshoot and ensure that your RDP sessions recognize the correct printer drivers:

### Troubleshooting Steps:

1. Matching Printer Driver Versions:
- Ensure that the printer driver version installed on your Windows 7 PC matches the driver version installed on the terminal server. Even if the driver names are the same, differences in versions can cause compatibility issues.

2. Differences Between Windows 7 and Terminal Server:
- Check for any differences in architecture or operating system versions between your Windows 7 PC and the terminal server. Drivers designed for different operating systems or architectures may not be compatible.

3. Driver Signatures:
- Confirm that the printer drivers are digitally signed. Unsigned drivers might not load correctly in an RDP session due to security settings.

4. Driver Isolation Configuration:
- You may need to adjust the driver isolation settings on the terminal server. This feature isolates printer drivers within the Windows Print Services subsystem to prevent one faulty driver from crashing the system. However, it can also lead to driver compatibility issues.

5. Use Universal Print Drivers:
- Consider using universal printer drivers that are designed to work across various printer models and manufacturers. This can help ensure compatibility in RDP sessions.

6. Update Printer Drivers:
- Ensure that the printer drivers on both your Windows 7 PC and the terminal server are up-to-date. Check the manufacturer's website for the latest driver versions.

7. Restart Printer Spooler Service:
- Try restarting the Print Spooler service on both your Windows 7 PC and the terminal server. Sometimes, restarting the service can resolve driver recognition issues.

8. Check Group Policy Settings:
- Review Group Policy settings related to printer redirection in your RDP sessions. Ensure that the settings are configured correctly to allow printer redirection.

9. Printer Redirection Configuration:
- Verify that printer redirection is enabled in your RDP client settings on your Windows 7 PC.

By following these steps and ensuring that both your Windows 7 PC and terminal server have compatible and correctly configured printer drivers, you should be able to resolve the issue of your RDP sessions not recognizing the printer drivers. If the issue persists, further troubleshooting may be needed to pinpoint the exact cause of the driver mismatch.

Back