Windows 7 Problem locating files when attaching them to mails

backtoheaven

Honorable Member
This is probably a really easy-to-solve problem, but to me a very annoying one. Win 7 has done something with its files that makes it more difficult to find them in certain occations.
Say for ex that I have done an ordinary search via Start on the whole computer to find an old document that I want to add to a mail. I find it and now I go to this documents Properties to see exactly how it can be found when I have opened the Attach file window in Yahoo mail.
In Properties for that document the pathway to where it’s at is clear, it shows: C:\Users\Admin\Documents\Medicin\Pat journaler\Pat_papper
But when I am in Yahoo mail and press Attach file and are about to browse to find this document, I can’t follow this pathway because in my C-drive there is no “User” and no “Admin” either! They should be there according to the pathway of this document – but they are not, or they are but they are invisible.
How do I fix this?
And by the way - what the hell is a "Trackback"??

C:\Users\Admin directory.....?? Did you add this Admin user yourself? I am not sure exactly what is going on, but any file you had anything to do with should be in your User folder.

Did you, by any chance, do an inplace upgrade from Vista or copy data from an earlier install? Could the path be in the Windows.old folder?

This is probably a really easy-to-solve problem, but to me a very annoying one. Win 7 has done something with its files that makes it more difficult to find them in certain occations.
Say for ex that I have done an ordinary search via Start on the whole computer to find an old document that I want to add to a mail. I find it and now I go to this documents Properties to see exactly how it can be found when I have opened the Attach file window in Yahoo mail.
In Properties for that document the pathway to where it’s at is clear, it shows: C:\Users\Admin\Documents\Medicin\Pat journaler\Pat_papper
But when I am in Yahoo mail and press Attach file and are about to browse to find this document, I can’t follow this pathway because in my C-drive there is no “User” and no “Admin” either! They should be there according to the pathway of this document – but they are not, or they are but they are invisible.
How do I fix this?
And by the way - what the hell is a "Trackback"??

Could you, by chance, post a screenshot of what you see?

Printscreens

This computer had vista before upgrading to 7 and the doc's were made in vista on another computer.
So what you're implying is that the pathway shown is for the previous computer where the doc where made?
I thought the pathway to where the doc is stored changed when the doc moves to another computer with another map setting?
In other words - does not the pathway (under the doc's arkive/properties/general) allways show where the doc is stored in present time?

Attachments

• Doc pathway.png
    Doc pathway.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 412
  • Doc attach.png
    Doc attach.png
    104.2 KB · Views: 379
If the files show up in a search, you should be able to right click and select "Open File Location". If you have the view options set to display the full path it should show where the file actually is and you will be in that folder.

I do not have a Windows.old folder I can check right now, but I thnk I remember that it keeps the file structure intact. If you open it there may be the same type paths. You may need to allow for viewing hidden, system files in the folder options to see it, I just don't remember.

There is also a possibility the file is on a secondary drive that has the file structure intact and in being used a secondary drive. Maybe even a networked computer, or an archive.

Also, keep in mind that in a search, the results shown in the folder column give you the folder the file is in followed by the path, in parenthesis, to the folder, not the file.

Last edited:
This computer had vista before upgrading to 7 and the doc's were made in vista on another computer.
So what you're implying is that the pathway shown is for the previous computer where the doc where made?
I thought the pathway to where the doc is stored changed when the doc moves to another computer with another map setting?
In other words - does not the pathway (under the doc's arkive/properties/general) allways show where the doc is stored in present time?

Hmm...very strange indeed... Saltgrass -- windows.old does indeed keep the file structure so this doesn't *appear* to be a result of a failed upgrade.

Backtoheaven -- I apologize if you have answered this already, but can you try to enter the direct path (copy and paste) within the Yahoo uploader? Can the files be accessed that way?

Back