Windows 7 Problem with sound icon and also running SFC /SCANNOW

James1981

Hi, I currently have an issue with my sound icon showing a x on it, its not muted and the drivers are installed correctly, infact i have tried uninstalling the software and letting windows install its own driver which comes up as a hd device audio device, but the icon still have the cross.

if i try and double click the audio icon i get a window straight away telling me that windows is detecting a problem with it but then always shows it doesn't find any problem.

The audio its self actually seems to be working fine, i do have sound and no issues with that side of it.

I have run a SFC /SCANNOW and after it finished it told me it had found corrupt files and was unable to repair them.

Unfortunately i have had to format my laptop a few times recently and really dont want to again as it didn't come with the windows 7 disk, its just a repair from the drive back to factory default, no option to just do a repair and keep your existing files etc which is crap and really puts me off wanting to do it all again.

I have also tried windows fix it's for audio issues and nothing seems to be working for me.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks

James

If the audio is working fine, ignore the X.

thanks for the reply, it does work, but now every time i click on the volume icon it crashes and says its trying to detect issues.

quote.......I have run a SFC /SCANNOW and after it finished it told me it had found corrupt files and was unable to repair them.

I learnt this method from one of the admins in this forum just 3 or 4 days ago, and it worked for me. It repaired what sfc could not..............

go back to elevated command prompt ( cmd run as administrator ) > copy/past this command.....

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

press Enter.

Wait. It will take a while.
When finished, it will tell you the result.
Good luck.

just tried and got this msg:
C:\Windows\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Image Version: 6.1.7601.18489

Error: 87

The restorehealth option is not recognized in this context.
For more information, refer to the help.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

I am sorry that it does not work for you.
I am just passing on something I learnt. Something that has worked for me.

Please wait for someone with better knowledge to help you.
Good luck.

Back