Windows 8 Problem with windows 8.1 Fast Start up (hybrid boot)

evilevil

I recently installed windows 8.1 and there is a problem with the windows Fast Start up (hybrid boot) feature as sometimes it works and windows starts very fast and sometimes it doesn't starts fast but just take sometime to start as if I started from a cold boot. I tried everything from inside the windows to solve this problem but nothing worked

I read in some threads that this fast boot technology works by saving the system into a hibernation file in the system drive when you shutdown the PC and at boot Hybrid boot well just use this hibernation file to start up faster by loading some system related files from it.

So I thinks that sometimes it loads the information from the hibernation file to load the system fast and sometimes it doesn't load anything from the hibernation file and load as if it was starting on a cold boot.

So I would like to hear some thoughts on what could be causing this problem as I have tried a lot of solutions but nothing seems to be working. And also I would like to know what's causing this problem is it windows or bios related issue.

Thanks

As it is a sometimes fast and sometimes slow… more likely the system is waiting for internet to kick in so it can check for updates.

I actually checked the event log file after each start up and I figured out that when the windows starts fast there will not be any errors regarding the problem, but when the windows boots slowly I can see that there is some errors regarding windows shutdown and start up and which is as follows

1- Windows failed fast start up with error status 0xC00000D4.

2- The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

And for the second error I'm sure that when I powered off the PC it powered off correctly and without any errors

So what exactly could be causing these errors and how can I solve it, any ideas.

So far it could be anything from faulty ram (that error says that point was not there) to a simple case of some power setting is incorrect or even programs like a Nortains anti-virus getting delusions of grandeur.

1. Is there any consistency to the slow boots i.e. a certain time of day or every 3rd one will always fail?

2. To track it down we need to see the error reports + a lot of general info like posts of your start-up page and to be blunt… if the end result is just an extra minute or two every couple times you boot then perhaps it isn't worth it?

If you installed 8.1, did you do so using the UEFI configuration?

Are you running any other OSes in a Dual Boot configuration?

The bios on your system may have some settings regarding hardware startup with might be involved, since such things as some USB ports may not be started until after boot.

But, as ussnorway mentions, it appears something is keeping your system from setting itself up during the shutdown so the start is effected.

How old is this machine, since we have no information on it?

If you installed 8.1, did you do so using the UEFI configuration?

Are you running any other OSes in a Dual Boot configuration?

The bios on your system may have some settings regarding hardware startup with might be involved, since such things as some USB ports may not be started until after boot.

But, as ussnorway mentions, it appears something is keeping your system from setting itself up during the shutdown so the start is effected.

How old is this machine, since we have no information on it?

- Yes I installed windows 8.1 using the UEFI configuration

- No I am not running any other OS other than windows 8.1 which I have installed in my samsung evo 840 msata ssd

- So what exactly could be the settings in the bios that could be causing this problem as from my side I don't understand alot of options in BIOS and I didn't try to change anything before. And as for the USB ports I only have two usb ports plugged in my laptop which is Logitech mouse and Logitech headphone so could any one of these causing the problem.

- My machine is about 1 year old and it's a Sager Laptop

In addition I have 2x 2tb hdd in RAID0 i use them for storage so could it be that the RAID0 is causing this problem.

So far it could be anything from faulty ram (that error says that point was not there) to a simple case of some power setting is incorrect or even programs like a Nortains anti-virus getting delusions of grandeur.

1. Is there any consistency to the slow boots i.e. a certain time of day or every 3rd one will always fail?

2. To track it down we need to see the error reports + a lot of general info like posts of your start-up page and to be blunt… if the end result is just an extra minute or two every couple times you boot then perhaps it isn't worth it?

Actually I checked the rams with the windows dos as well as with a couple of programs and there was nothing wrong with them. And I actually tried formatting the whole windows and reinstalling it again without installing any programs but only all the windows updates where installed and still the problem existed.

1- No actually there is no consistent time for this problem to occur, it just occur in a random basis.

2- So how exactly can I get these reports so I can place them here. Yeah the delay is usually about 2 to 3 minutes but I would really like to know the reason for this problem because it's driving me crazy.

- I just figured it out right now, I went to the bios and disabled all the hdd drives that I have which are:

1- 2 x 2tb in RAID0

2- 1 x 750gb sshd

- And after that I was just left with my msata ssd which had windows 8.1 installed in it and then I did about 10 shutdows and startups and yes the problem is gone and it's starting up and shuting down even faster than before.

- Right now I can assure that this problem is caused by the other HDD's which are installed in the laptop.

- Also I think that according to the error I mentioned before which says (The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly) it means that when the system shuts down it dosen't close and shut down everything properly including programs and HDD and which in the long run could affect HDD.

So any suggestions on how I can overcome this problem with offcourse enabling back my HDD.

So the SSD is internal and the RAID is an external set? Have you pinned the problem down to one or the other of those?

I would think the HDD RAID would be fairly slow compared to the mSATA. You might check to see if they might be asleep when you shutdown but I don't know of a way to disconnect the RAID prior to shutting down except manually. I am running a Dell using the mSATA as the primary drive and a 1 TB data drive and seem to have no problem with the Fast Startup.

You might try turning off the Fast Startup and see if anything changes. You might also check the drive where the hibernation file is being written. If it was close to being full, the system might be having a hard time writing the data necessary quickly enough to allow a clean shutdown.

The external headset may be involved also, but the Logitech mouse may have some software related to it being part of the problem. I have seen an Event Manager utility causing some shutdown messages on Windows 7 but my Windows 8 install seems to be OK with no Fast Startup problems.

So the SSD is internal and the RAID is an external set? Have you pinned the problem down to one or the other of those?

I would think the HDD RAID would be fairly slow compared to the mSATA. You might check to see if they might be asleep when you shutdown but I don't know of a way to disconnect the RAID prior to shutting down except manually. I am running a Dell using the mSATA as the primary drive and a 1 TB data drive and seem to have no problem with the Fast Startup.

You might try turning off the Fast Startup and see if anything changes. You might also check the drive where the hibernation file is being written. If it was close to being full, the system might be having a hard time writing the data necessary quickly enough to allow a clean shutdown.

The external headset may be involved also, but the Logitech mouse may have some software related to it being part of the problem. I have seen an Event Manager utility causing some shutdown messages on Windows 7 but my Windows 8 install seems to be OK with no Fast Startup problems.

No actually both of them are internal as I have:

1- 500gb msata ssd
2- 2 x 2TB HDD in Raid0
3- 1 x 750gb HDD

- All of them are inside the laptop. I have the msata ssd as the primary drive which has windows installed in it and the rest of the drives I have them as internal storage.

- So is there any way that I could disconnect the drive through a software or from inside the windows before shutting the windows down.

- Could this problem caused by the size of the hdd or could it be the RAID0 configuration causing this issue.

- The hibernation file is located in the msata ssd where there is more than 300gb of free space.

- I have tried removing all the usb devices from the laptop and doing some shutdowns and restarts but the problem was still their.

- I just figured it out right now, I went to the bios and disabled all the hdd drives that I have which are:

1- 2 x 2tb in RAID0

2- 1 x 750gb sshd

- And after that I was just left with my msata ssd which had windows 8.1 installed in it and then I did about 10 shutdows and startups and yes the problem is gone and it's starting up and shuting down even faster than before.

- Right now I can assure that this problem is caused by the other HDD's which are installed in the laptop.

- Also I think that according to the error I mentioned before which says (The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly) it means that when the system shuts down it dosen't close and shut down everything properly including programs and HDD and which in the long run could affect HDD.

So any suggestions on how I can overcome this problem with offcourse enabling back my HDD.

Infact I have tried enabling the 750gb first and leaving the RAID hdd's disabled and then tried shutting down and restarting the laptop for several times and it worked perfectly without any issues then after I enabled the RAID0 hdd's with the 750gb enabled the problem came back, I also tried enabling only the RAID hdd's without enabling the 750gb hdd but the problem was still their, which means that this problem is caused by the RAID0 configuration.

When I enabled the RAID0 hdd's I noticed that when I was switching to the bios one of the RAID0 hdd's was shown as not detected even though it was enabled. But when I switched back to windows I found out that the whole RAID0 drive is shown.

So what should I do?

Maybe someone else will know better since I don't have much experience with RAID configurations. But how is the RAID setup as far as connections and power supply? Are the drives matched?

Since you are using RAID 0, I suppose you are not able to replace the problem drive? There may be another reason the one drive is showing some problems, so use your best judgment on troubleshooting the RAID.

Maybe someone else will know better since I don't have much experience with RAID configurations. But how is the RAID setup as far as connections and power supply? Are the drives matched?

Since you are using RAID 0, I suppose you are not able to replace the problem drive? There may be another reason the one drive is showing some problems, so use your best judgment on troubleshooting the RAID.

The RAID setup is working good regarding the connections and power supply, and yes the drives are exactly the same.

I just bought these two drive 3 weeks ago and I checked them just before putting them into them RAID configuration and there wasn't any problems with any of them. Also both these drives are working great in the RAID0 without any problems but the only problem is that the windows doesn't shut this RAID0 drive properly which is resulting in this problem.

So is there any way that could force the windows to close this RAID0 drive properly without issues like a program or a bios configuration.

snip...

So is there any way that could force the windows to close this RAID0 drive properly without issues like a program or a bios configuration.
Yes you can force it but thats a VERY bad thing to do with RAID...

1. go to the download page for your machine and see if they offer a newer raid driver than the one you have.

2 the next step is a bios flash and to be very clear, this always iffy... I wouldn't do this on a machine that otherwise works so I don't recomend it!

Before doing a bios flash that may kill your machine, ask yourself;
why do you need them to be in a raid... and can they be moved to an external system to solve the driver issue?

Yes you can force it but thats a VERY bad thing to do with RAID...

1. go to the download page for your machine and see if they offer a newer raid driver than the one you have.

2 the next step is a bios flash and to be very clear, this always iffy... I wouldn't do this on a machine that otherwise works so I don't recomend it!

Before doing a bios flash that may kill your machine, ask yourself;
why do you need them to be in a raid... and can they be moved to an external system to solve the driver issue?

Actually I have downloaded the newest RAID driver from intel as well as updated my BIOS and the problem was still there.

So at the end I decided to format the RAID drive and cancel the RAID but even after that I was still encountering the same problem.

And the only way to avoid encountering this problem was to disable both the 2TB hdd from the bios.

So I think that this problem maybe either windows related or maybe related to the 2TB disks installed in the laptop.

Back