dilipb

Ever since I first got my Windows 7 machine, I have been able to run the XP mode virtual machine without problem. A few months ago, I started getting a message that the XP mode couldn't come up without integration problems, or something like that. I was able to dismiss the message and have WinXP boot.
Suddenly a few days ago, in the middle of a normal Windows 7 session with a WinXP virtual machine running, XP crashed with a system dump and hasn't been bootable since. I can try to bring it up, but it just gets up to maybe 20% progress bar of boot, then cycles back to 0%.

Then, yesterday, I'm not sure what I did differently, but I was able to get back to the crash screen, rather than constantly cycling toward a boot. I get a TRAP (I took a snapshot imageLink Removed).
After closing that attempted boot (the virtual machine hibernated), I tried mounting the VHD file. I found this likely VHD disk:
C:\Users\Dilip\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\Virtual Machines\Windows XP Mode.vhd
and was able to mount it read-only; I declined formatting it. I found it to have a 127GB healthy active, primary partition with 13 mb unallocated space. It was corrupt or uninitialized, but I didn't try formatting it or anything - I want to get my data off, of course!

Am I getting closer? I don't want to lose the data even if I have to reinstall the virtual machine after copying the data. I do have a backup but it's not as current as I'd like. Thanks.

Dilip

Specs: Win 7 Professional 64-bit, Service Pack 1, Build 7601; Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz, 2934 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s); 8 GB installed physical memory

Attachments

• sevenForumsInquiryReXPVirtualization.webp
    sevenForumsInquiryReXPVirtualization.webp
    158.7 KB · Views: 293
Solution
It seems like you are experiencing issues with your Windows XP Mode virtual machine on your Windows 7 Professional system. Here are some steps you can take to try to recover your data from the corrupt or uninitialized VHD file:
1. Data Recovery from VHD File:
- Since you were able to mount the VHD file in read-only mode and identified the partitions, you can try to recover your data using a data recovery tool. One tool you can use is TestDisk, which is free and open-source.
- TestDisk can help you recover lost partitions and make non-booting disks bootable again. You can run it on the VHD file and see if it can identify and recover your partitions and data.
2. Backup Your Data:
- Before attempting any recovery...
It seems like you are experiencing issues with your Windows XP Mode virtual machine on your Windows 7 Professional system. Here are some steps you can take to try to recover your data from the corrupt or uninitialized VHD file:
1. Data Recovery from VHD File:
- Since you were able to mount the VHD file in read-only mode and identified the partitions, you can try to recover your data using a data recovery tool. One tool you can use is TestDisk, which is free and open-source.
- TestDisk can help you recover lost partitions and make non-booting disks bootable again. You can run it on the VHD file and see if it can identify and recover your partitions and data.
2. Backup Your Data:
- Before attempting any recovery operations, it's essential to back up your VHD file to ensure that you have a safe copy of the data in case anything goes wrong during the recovery process.
3. Reinstall Virtual Machine:
- If data recovery fails or you encounter issues, you might need to reinstall the virtual machine. Before doing so, ensure that you have successfully backed up your data.
4. Check Backup:
- Ensure that you verify the integrity of your backup before proceeding with any data recovery or reinstallation steps. This ensures that your data is safe and usable.
5. Additional Recommendations:
- It's essential to keep your Windows 7 system up-to-date with the latest updates to prevent similar issues in the future.
- Consider upgrading to a newer version of Windows or using alternative virtualization software for better compatibility and support.
By following these steps, you can try to recover your data from the corrupt VHD file and ensure that your important files are safe before proceeding with any potential data loss scenarios. If you need further assistance or additional guidance on data recovery tools, feel free to ask!

Solution
Back