Windows 7 Problems with IE 8.0

rray6

After installing Windows 7 (32 bit, clean full install), I noticed my access to internet sites was intolerably slow (40-45 seconds minimum access time every time I tried to go to a new web site). I was using IE 8.0 that apparently installed with Windows. I also noticed an extraordinary number of toolbars that loaded up so I disabled all of them. This helped overalol performance except for the initial surf after opening IE. After waiting 45 seconds following opening of IE, the browser will then open subsequent sites very quickly (several seconds in general). But it still is very slow going to that first site (does not matter what it is). I installed the latest Firefox and had no such problems. Firefox is fast from startup and with all web access. While I may keep Firefox as my default browser, I do not like having this problem with IE. Is anyone aware of settings that might affect IE's performance? I have tried everything I know. Thanks.

Robert

I also noticed an extraordinary number of toolbars that loaded up so I disabled all of them

What exactly were the names of these toolbars

No toolbars get installed with a default Windows installation.

Go to Manage add-ons and let us know what information is there about the toolbars or other entries.

They included Google, Yahoo, and others like that. I may have inadvertently installed them. but all toolbars are gone now. As far as I can tell, it is a clean, unburdened IE 8.0.

Robert

can also uninstall the toolbars very quickly from control panel uninstall programs. Will speed up IE quite a bit.

After installing Windows 7 (32 bit, clean full install), I noticed my access to internet sites was intolerably slow (40-45 seconds minimum access time every time I tried to go to a new web site). I was using IE 8.0 that apparently installed with Windows. I also noticed an extraordinary number of toolbars that loaded up so I disabled all of them. This helped overalol performance except for the initial surf after opening IE. After waiting 45 seconds following opening of IE, the browser will then open subsequent sites very quickly (several seconds in general). But it still is very slow going to that first site (does not matter what it is). I installed the latest Firefox and had no such problems. Firefox is fast from startup and with all web access. While I may keep Firefox as my default browser, I do not like having this problem with IE. Is anyone aware of settings that might affect IE's performance? I have tried everything I know. Thanks.

Robert

Sounds like you may need to check for "BHO's" (Browser Helper Objects) and disable them... they don't easily show up to be disabled because they direct traffic to sites that pay whoever sent you there. They get installed automatically by many many many software applications... for example if you install adobe flash player to view youtube movies... it stuffs the google task bar into your browser. Other software packages stuff Yahoo taskbar into your browser. Some give you options to say no... but most don't. Over a period of time, if you are testing and adding a lot of programs, your browser could be loading as many applications as your start menu. It's a more sneaky way of using your computer for someone else's purposes.

Google BHO removal

Whenever you download and install a program off the internet pay extreme attention to the installer. Read every word of every message it displays. If it says anything about installing a toolbar or changing your home page don't allow it. If there is nothing to click to stop it from installing something bad hit the back button and check for a custom install or just another way of installing. If you can't install it without installing a toolbar or anything like that then don't install it at all. The writers of that program are crooks and you need to stay away from them.

When you install Yahoo Messenger if you do the default install it installs the Yahoo Toolbar and changes your home page to yahoo.com. If you click on Custom Install you get the means to install it without any extras. You have to watch for stuff like that on everything.

Yes!! Absolutely Everything!! I should have said that myself. Thank you for correcting me tblount.

Back