Windows 7 Product key question

thewolfsage

Hello, all.

I've always bought my computers with the OEM version of the newest windows version already installed so this is my first time actually installing Windows myself. This question has been on my mind for a while, so I thought I'd ask it here.

About two weeks ago I decided to upgrade from Windows Vista home premium 32 bit to Windows 7 on my Conpaq Presario. Because I didn't want to loose my files and programs and things and because it looked like the easiest option I did an in place upgrade from Vista Home Premium 32 bit to 7 Home Premium 32 bit. Windows 7 installed with no problems at all and I love it so far, but lately I've been kicking myself for passing up the opportunity to move up to 64 bit Windows. If at some point in the future I decide to switch to 64 bit Windows 7 will my product key still work if I'm installing it on the same computer, and wil I be able to activate Windows again?

'thewolfsage',

Hi & welcome to Windows 7 Forums :)

Yes.

Oh, wait, it's a 2- parter...

Yes & yes, in that order, lol :D

Reason: @ the end of the day only 1 OS is live (@ 1 time) under that Key. Same reason I can (& do) boot in both W7 x86 and x64 in the same tower, both/each installed w/ the same, 1 Key... actually I triple-boot but, only 1 OS can run @ a time (also boot to Vista).

Cheers,
Drew

"A scan a day keeps the nasties away!"

Awesome. Thanks, Drew.

Verify product key

I purchased 3 product keys for windows 7, How can I verify keys are good before I try to do
a full install.
2nd question is, where can I get install dvd for windows 7 professional & windows 7 home premium.

I purchased 3 product keys for windows 7, How can I verify keys are good before I try to do
a full install.
2nd question is, where can I get install dvd for windows 7 professional & windows 7 home premium.

Hello and Welcome to Windows7forums.. :)

So, I'm guessing from you're question that you did not purchase the keys with a copy of Windows 7? ;) Where did you purchase the keys from if you don't mind me asking? As long as it was a legit purchase then the keys should work without any problems.. However, if it was a sketchy sale then you might want to check them out first.. ;)

As far as how to verify the key without an installation disc goes.. There are key checker apps out there but I'd be careful downloading/using those as most are bull as in garbage.. The best way is to just purchase an installtion DVD.. :) That way you know for sure.. You can certainly order an installation DVD from Microsoft..

I purchased them from ebay, along with hundreds of other members, 99% were legit.
There were a few that said key did not work.

Yes, but you will have to use a workaround because you can not upgrade 32 to 64 and the upgrade key won't be accepted from a clean install.

Yes, but you will have to use a workaround because you can not upgrade 32 to 64 and the upgrade key won't be accepted from a clean install.

True to an extent.. An Upgrade key will work from a Clean Install IF and only IF you do the "Upgrade/Clean Install trick".. ;) A guide on how to do this is posted in the "Windows 7 Installation" forum.. ;)

Back