Windows 7 proper icon not assocated with program

gordoncanada

Hello there,
Maybe someone out there can help me. I recently upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. It was a clean install, and it went smoothly. One of my most often used programs, however, is only showing a generic icon. I've tried reinstalling the program and confirming and resetting the file association in properties. It still shows up as a generic icon. Is there anything else I can do? It doesn't effect performance but it is esthetically irritating.

Thanks, gordoncanada

I found this online a while back, but the problem never happened to me...let me know how it works! :D

If you find that one or more of your icons are not displaying correctly, or that your icon cache is corrupted, you might want to consider rebuilding your icon cache.

To do so, Open Windows Explorer, and configure your Folder Options > Views to show Hidden / System Files. Next go to C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local folder and delete the hidden IconCache.db file. Reboot. This action will purge and rebuild the icon cache.
There is also another way to do it, should the above method not work for you.

Kill Explorer.exe process. To do so, click Start button > Hold down Ctrl+Shift & Right Click on empty area in the Start Menu > Click "Exit Explorer".

Click Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys and open Task Manager.
Click File > New Task > cmd.exe > OK. This will open the command prompt.

Type cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
Click OK
Type attrib –h IconCache.db
Click OK
Type del IconCache.db
Click OK
Type start explorer
Click OK.

Your Windows Icon Cache would have been rebuilt.

Back