Windows 7 Proxy trouble in Windows 7

clarinetJWD

I'm using Proxifier in Windows 7 to attempt to tether my phone. So far, I've done pretty well:
I have the ad-hoc network set up,
I have the IPs in the same domain,
I have my default gateway set to the phone.

My phone is connected to the network
Proxifier's internal test is fine, and connects flawlessly, and the phone shows activity
Windows itself says I have local and Internet connectivity
Steam also connects fine, I downloaded and installed a small game over my cellular network
However, nothing that uses HTTP can connect. I tried Opera, Firefox, and Internet Explorer, and none of them can connect

In Proxifier, Steam shows up and connects through the program, but none of the browsers will go through the proxy. I put this in the Windows 7 forum instead of Proxifier because I have used this same setup in Vista with no problems, so it seems the only variable is 7.

If anyone has any bright ideas, let me know!

It appears that you have set up your network configuration correctly, and certain applications like Steam are able to connect through Proxifier, but browsers like Opera, Firefox, and Internet Explorer are facing issues connecting to the internet via the proxy. This discrepancy between different applications can sometimes be attributed to how each application handles proxy settings.

To troubleshoot this issue with your browsers not connecting through the proxy in Windows 7, you can try the following steps:

1. Check Proxy Settings in Browsers:
- Open each browser (Opera, Firefox, Internet Explorer), and navigate to their proxy settings.
- Ensure that they are set to use the same proxy settings that you have configured in Proxifier.

2. Restart Browsers:
- Sometimes, simply restarting the browsers can help them apply new proxy settings correctly.

3. Reset Proxy Settings:
- Reset the proxy settings in the browsers to default, then reconfigure them with the proxy details from Proxifier.

4. Check Firewall Settings:
- Verify that your firewall is not blocking the browsers' access to the internet through the proxy. You may need to create an exception in the firewall settings.

5. Clear Browser Cache and Cookies:
- Clearing the cache and cookies in your browsers can sometimes resolve connectivity issues.

6. Test with a Different Proxy Tool:
- As a troubleshooting step, you can try using a different proxy tool to see if the issue persists. This can help determine if the problem is specific to Proxifier or a more general browser issue.

7. Verify Proxy Configuration in Windows 7:
- Double-check your proxy settings in Windows 7 to ensure that they are correctly configured and that there are no conflicts with the browsers' settings.

8. Update Browsers:
- Make sure that your browsers are up to date. Outdated browsers can sometimes have compatibility issues with certain proxy configurations.

By going through these steps, you should be able to identify and resolve the issue with your browsers not connecting through the proxy in Windows 7. If the problem persists, you may also want to reach out to Proxifier support for more specific assistance related to their application's interaction with browsers on Windows 7.

Back