Windows 7 RAM fills up & system slows down handling large files

skr1p7k1dd

Specs: Q6600 ~2.5ghz, 4gb ram, HD4850 video card, windows 7 x64 build 7100

Whenever I install a game that is several gigabytes large or I copy a file which has gigabytes of data my physical RAM fills up (up to 99+%) and my system slows to a crawl. Even after the trasfer/copy/install is done, the RAM stays at near max. The only way I can bring it down is restart my computer or run a game that uses a ton of RAM. (Maybe doing this forces windows 7 to run its garbage collection? I dont know)

Anyways, some help would be appreciated.

More info: It gradually fills up, usually at like 10-30 MB/sec and peaks off when there is under 100 MB of RAM left. Both my hard drives (320gb and 250gb) have about 50% free space each, and have about 2GB of page file space each.

Capture.jpg

It started to go down a little because I closed some programs for the screenshot (firefox, messenger, etc)

Last edited:
Windows has always been crappy with large file transfer. Of more concern, I get the same "RAM maxing out" problem everynow and then. Last time it happened was when I tried to scan a large .rar file, had to restart as RAM was still maxed long after it had finished.
There has been chatter that this has something to do with 7260-3 failing the vote, but take as a grain of salt.

"There has been chatter that this has something to do with 7260-3 failing the vote, but take as a grain of salt."

I have no idea what that means, but if you have some suggestions I'll try em out and see if it fixes.

Back
Top Bottom