Windows 7 RAM Q ...

Previous details I give were off spec sheet ... I just looked what it says under 'my computer' ...
Intel Core 2 6600 2.4GHz

Does that mean the Motherboard is also 64bit ... or is it just processor can handle 64 bit addressing ?

When I run the MS compatability check it says it can't takje standard 64 bit install, it would need a 'custom 64 bit install' ..... any idea what that entails.

Last edited:
It's pretty safe to reckon that the CPU is sitting on a approciate, suitable M/B to , also, support the 64-bit CPU, so, yes.

2nd:

Cannot 'upgrade' or change 32-bit OS to 64-bit as an 'upgrade path'. Ergo, the need for a clean, "Custom Install" as opposed to an "Upgrade Install".
It means you grab an x64 Win7 disc & select "Custom" not, "Upgrade". Both options come up from the OS disc in the opening steps of the install process.
The 'take away' here is that clean installs, unlike upgrades, mean data must be saved & replaced after the new install is live and all programs & software must be reloaded. "Custom Install" formats the drive & gives one a clean slate.

Bottom line, you can change that machine to W7 x64 via "Custom Install", w/out changing hardware.

And that is what that entails :)

I presume this is the utility you ran, Download: Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

And this will shows what I'm talking about regarding acceptable & unacceptable 'Paths', Windows 7 Upgrade Paths

Cheers,
Drew

That is the utility.
I'll run again to check if all my s/w will be OK.
If so, apart from being able to address more RAM, are there any other key benefits?

Will it run faster, or still the same performance.

I'm at the limit of RAM, unless I throw away existing 1GB modules.

It is not faster than 32bit. I personally liked 32bit better (on a 3GB system), but with 8GBs of RAM that is a no-go.

RAM is cheap. Sell the 1GB sticks on Ebay. Maybe you get a few pennies. Start with $9.99.

Currently, I dual-boot to Win7 x86 & x64. Frankly both are fast. That said, this is some of the answer... 64 is sometimes said to be faster but, not the big issue. It is suggested, greater stability & security w/ x64. Certainly, 64 is strong when it comes to multi-tasking. And there's always the RAM useage, of course.

No question that 64 is the way of the future & soon x86 will be history.

Drew

No question that 64 is the way of the future & soon x86 will be history.

Drew
Which brings to mind an off topic question. Which Windows version will be released without a 32 bit option? 9? 10?

Last edited:
An obvious thought, if 64bit has so many benefits ...and my processor & mob, support this, why would Dell have sent it out configured as 32bit.
I have a licensed ver of W7, and there is no diff in price, I can simply choose any of the variants of W7 ...

Possibly not (re:Any version etc.). Dell will have loaded an OEM version, usually as an either or 64bit/32bit. Now, for example, lets say you went to a shop and bought Windows Home Premium. It would contain one key and two discs. One 64 bit, t'other 32 bit.

Are you sure your MoBo and processor support 64bit? OEM's are well known for batting prices (and quality) down, so even if you have a Gigabittle XY123 MoBo, it won't be the same as going into a shop and buying a Gigabittle XY123 MoBo (Poorer quality capacitors etc.).

Remember, the likes of Dell etc. are in it to make as much money as possible, not give you the best deal.

Last edited:
Possibly not (re:Any version etc.). Dell will have loaded an OEM version, .....
Are you sure your MoBo and processor support 64bit? OEM's are well known for batting prices (and quality) ...
Remember, the likes of Dell etc. are in it to make as much money as possible, not give you the best deal.

I fully understand Dell do not overspec ... hence my Q earlier in thread, and that I was surpised to find it will run 64bit.
Not sure how I can find out in MoBo will support 64bit .... when I run Dell dignostics against service tag it does not give MoBo information other than to say it is DXP061 build

As to OS .. I have fully liceinsed Visat 32bit Home Ultimat .. that came with PC.

I just installed W7 ... but not via an upgrade disk, but with a fully seperate licensed ver of W7 ... hence on install I could choose any ver on W7 to install.

Elmer,

"Which Windows version will be released without a 32 bit option? 9? 10?"

The latest Windows server is 64-bit only. There was talk of Windows 8 being released as 64-bit only but, will still be available in x86, also. Personally, I would suggest that by '9' we won't see 32-bit, anymore.

Cheers,
Drew

Back