Windows 7 re installing windows

Shan Ali Khan

Hi, i want to re installmy windows , my laptop has WINDOWS 7 HOME installion / repairing files by factory , i have WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE in it now.I want to re install it. how i can re install it. if i use the factory (dell) defualt drive for installing i am afraid that it will become HOME edition again. I want to re install as an ULTIMATE . need help.i have system repair disc having ultimate license in it. but it wont boot or load file when i try to use it for re installing windows.
is there any way that i can install HOME edition again , then copy the ultimate license from system reair disc of ULTIMATE to that HOME ditioin to make it ultimate again. or please provide me ways of re installing windows 7 ULTIMATE
ThanksShan

Last edited:
I would probably check with Dell about using an image made in Windows 7 to reinstall. Since each manufacturer is different about how there systems work, it is hard to give definite answers.

But look into if you need to restore to the basic and use the Anytime Upgrade again, or you can just image the drive and restore the system from the image.

Maybe someone in the forum will have some experience in this situation..

I would probably check with Dell about using an image made in Windows 7 to reinstall. Since each manufacturer is different about how there systems work, it is hard to give definite answers.

But look into if you need to restore to the basic and use the Anytime Upgrade again, or you can just image the drive and restore the system from the image.

Maybe someone in the forum will have some experience in this situation..

If i restore system image , will data on my drive will effect on not ? or only windows drive will changed

If you restore your system to factory defaults with a Dell System Image, you will erase all of the existing data on your system. It will be like when you first bought the computer. Saltgrass is correct: If you are worried about data loss, if you used Windows Anytime Upgrade, or if you purchased an upgrade copy of Windows, you should call Dell Support for further assistance.

No, because you should use nothing from torrent, ever; shouldn't even have it on your machine. You can get Windows 7 ISOs from Digital River & then use your Key w/ that.

Well you can try google and type free burner prog there is alot to choose one, or u can ask a friend to copy of nero or use it to burn prog use on computer. Good luck

If the OS is on one drive, say C:\ & there is, also, a Data Drive say, D:\ then you tell the OS to install on the System Drive & there Data Drive remains untouched. And, if, using Windows 7, no burning software is needed...Win7 will burn ISOs natively; shows up as "Image Burn". Drew

Last edited:
No, because you should use nothing from torrent, ever; shouldn't even have it on your machine. You can get Windows 7 ISOs from Digital River & then use your Key w/ that.

Thanks I am downloading Windows 7 Ultimate X64 ( not media refresh )...

Right on! Good for you :thumbs_up:

I have just downloaded , and burned the image via ROxio image burn.
i dnt know after writing nothing appears when booting ?
and also when i try to run setup in windows , it takes time , but donot appears?
Is my DVD wasted ? although i have burnt it well , it was clearly completed
Thanks

I'm having a wee bit of trouble to decipher what you are saying but, hopefully my response fits.

IF, you are burning the ISO using Windows 7, 1st off that requires no burning software like, Roxio or Nero... & does image burn natively.

IF, you are not using 7 to do the burning, I recommend ImgBurn.

The burn must be done @ a very slow speed; @ least x4 or less.

When you go to install from the burnt DVD it is not run from w/in Windows. Rather, put the DVD in, cold start & Hit any key to boot from CD/DVD when that prompt comes up on the screen.

Cheers,
Drew

I'm having a wee bit of trouble to decipher what you are saying but, hopefully my response fits.

IF, you are burning the ISO using Windows 7, 1st off that requires no burning software like, Roxio or Nero... & does image burn natively.

IF, you are not using 7 to do the burning, I recommend ImgBurn.

The burn must be done @ a very slow speed; @ least x4 or less.

When you go to install from the burnt DVD it is not run from w/in Windows. Rather, put the DVD in, cold start & Hit any key to boot from CD/DVD when that prompt comes up on the screen.

Cheers,
Drew
Thanks for helping so far.

I used that DVD on my PC to boot that PC , PC took 5 minutes after saying" Press Any key to boot from dc/dvd" and the windows boot manager run and gave the options to run the windows 7 setup rather then starting automaically , and i selected that options to install., windows file started loading...
But i want to install it on my laptop so when i boot it , after saying boot from cd/dvd , it takes 15min that says this error
"UNEXPECTED I/O ERROR"
do you still think there a problem in DVD or in my DVD writer ? i asked so that if theres a problem in my DVD writer so i will not waste another dvd on buring ?

Thanks

Back