BigJohnny

hi,
i wish to redirect my shell folders, i.e., my documents, music, etc.
i know i might use the 'include folder' option, but it does not redirect the default location, it includes a reference to the included folder.

i tried the change keys in the regedit, but somehow, nothing had changed.
the location in the registry which i changed the keys is:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

when i refer to shell:personal it still points to the location which no more exists in the registry. which is strange..

i know i can navigate to %USERPROFILE% and right click my document folder, go to properties and "move the folder", but i do not which to that too.

i have a folder which is located in some other drive, let's say, I:\docs.
i wish that when i refer to shell:personal it will refer to I:\docs without to include this library.

hope you could help me,
thanks from advanced.

Last edited:
Solution
To redirect your shell folders, such as My Documents, Music, etc., to a custom location like "I:\docs" without including them as libraries, you can follow these steps:

Method 1: Using Registry Editor​

1. Open Registry Editor:
    • Press Win + R, type regedit, and press Enter.
    []Navigate to the Registry Keys:
    • Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders.
    [
    ]Modify the Registry Values:
    • Find the entries for the respective folders (e.g., Personal, My Music, etc.).
    • Change the values of...
To redirect your shell folders, such as My Documents, Music, etc., to a custom location like "I:\docs" without including them as libraries, you can follow these steps:

Method 1: Using Registry Editor​

1. Open Registry Editor:
    • Press Win + R, type regedit, and press Enter.
    []Navigate to the Registry Keys:
    • Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders.
    [
    ]Modify the Registry Values:
    • Find the entries for the respective folders (e.g., Personal, My Music, etc.).
    • Change the values of these entries to point to your desired location (e.g., I:\docs).
    []Restart the Computer:
    • Restart your computer to apply the changes.

Method 2: Using Command Prompt​

[
    ]Open Command Prompt:
    • Press Win + X and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    []Use Command Prompt to Redirect Folders:
    • Use the mklink /J command to create symbolic links from your default folders to the custom location.
      Code:
       mklink /J "%USERPROFILE%\Documents" "I:\docs" mklink /J "%USERPROFILE%\Music" "I:\music"
    [
    ]Restart the Computer:
    • Restart your computer to ensure the changes take effect.

Note:​

• It's important to back up your data before making changes to the registry or creating symbolic links.
      • Make sure the destination folder (I:\docs) exists before creating symbolic links.
      • After applying any changes, verify the folder redirection by checking the properties of the respective folders or using the shell: commands in File Explorer.
      By following these steps, you should be able to redirect your shell folders to your desired location without including them as libraries. Let me know if you need further assistance or clarification!

Solution
Back