Windows 7 Refuses to boot without disc in tray.

TintCleastwood

I've never had this problem before, and as they've done away with boot.ini I'm not sure how to approach it.

In BIOS the order was CD>Hard Disk>etc as I installed it. Then after the first reboot I changed it to Hard Disk>CD>etc, and removed the install disc. Saved settings, reboot, post, and then an error, basically a NTLDR missing but I forgot to write down the exact wording. I insert the install CD again, change boot order, and it works fine.

I went ahead and installed XP into another partition on the same drive in an effort to get a boot.ini to play with. And while that gives me a OS selection (I changed the names to something unique to be sure it wasn't win7's boot loader) I still need to have the disk in the tray to get to that screen. The same error if it is out or boot order reversed.

Windows 7 is on partition 1, XP is on partition 2. I've done some looking about and come across bcdedit, but I have no idea how to work it. I'll reboot here in a few minutes and edit in the actual error.

EDIT: I notice now that the boot manager several times refers to partition=X:, I do have a drive labeled X: but I have been using it for photoshop swap files etc. I'm going to try and figure out how to edit that I suppose.

EDIT 2: Nevermind, I give up. Currently reformatting and installing XP first, then 7.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back