Windows 10 Registy Editor Issue with change of Username (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE)

XiaoBird

Hi everyone,

I wanted to change my username on W10 and I followed the steps of this answer : how to change username on pc located in c:/users in windows 10 pro?

The issue is that I indeed changed in the following path : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
the value of the ProfileImagePath parameter with my new username.

After rebooting the computer, I got the Blue Screen of Death. I tried to reboot and make the recovery of the previous restoration point (that I created before) but it failed (probably because of the registry value).
I don't know how can I put back the original name in the registry editor so it could probably fix the problem after rebooting.

I can't use windows on my laptop anymore because of this, can someone help me fix the issue ?

Thank you in advance.

If it BSODs before you login I'd say the issue is unrelated and you'll want to upload the dump files to be analyzed.

@Neemobeer’s answer is logical.

Please let us know what else you downloaded or clicked on since you last restarted your computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply.
The first time I reboot the computer, just before getting the blue screen, it says that it couldn't launch my usual account so it created a temporary windows account which is very new : files are still there but not the software.
I thought it was like a mistake from Windows due to my previous changes so I directly rebooted the computer.
Since then I get the blue screen.

The temp message would be the result of your account name change if it wasn't completed correctly, but the BSOD would not happen as a result of that issue

Nothing more has been done. Only the value in the registry has been done. I can't access anything now

I would start by booting into safe mode w/networking and grab the dump files.
When I boot the computer in that mode I still have blue screen. It says it will collect the data and reboot the computer but never reboot it... I really can't access Windows account... Start to be hopeless now.
In the boot system I can access the terminal, is there anything I can try from it ?

Hard to say without seeing the BSOD dump files. You can try running chkdsk and sfc /scannow on the drive. In the recovery console C:\ may not be the correct drive letter.

Back
Top Bottom