Windows 7 Relocating personal folder to 2nd drive??

professorkev

How can we change the personal folder to be located in the second drive? I know you can go in there and change individual folders, but I always ad folders . I just want to put things in there and have them go to the hard drive! Microsoft should have known to allow this! Easily!

How can we change the personal folder to be located in the second drive? I know you can go in there and change individual folders, but I always ad folders . I just want to put things in there and have them go to the hard drive! Microsoft should have known to allow this! Easily!

Click Documents in the Start menu then Right click on documents and under properties go to the Location tab and put in anything you want. You can even select MOVE to cut and paste anything that is already there to the new location.

You may first have to cick "display as menu" by right clicking on Start / properties / start menu / customized / documents ... if you are trying to do this from the start menu.

thats for My Documents, I'm talking about the personal Folder settings (usually named what ever you named your computer, like your first name! YOu can only do individual folder in the personal file!

thats for My Documents, I'm talking about the personal Folder settings (usually named what ever you named your computer, like your first name! YOu can only do individual folder in the personal file!

I must be confused... are you talking about moving a user's profile to another drive? That can be done, I've read the steps.. you can probably google to find the process but Microsoft warns not to move user's profiles.

If you want to do it anyway... I recommend setting up a new user profile and move that one to your D drive and test it.

I wonder what would happen if you moved a user's profile to a usb drive? Could you take it out and make it impossible for anyone else to view your personal settings, url history, downloaded files... etc. If windows didn't look for the urser's profile and croak at bootup ... it would make one hell of a security/private trick.

You can't move or copy the default users profile to USB drive as all setting are held in the registry.

Good idea though.

The settings for all the software are still set in the registry.

A USB flash drive does not have a registry.

The best solution would be ti=om utilize portable apps that hold their settings in .ini files.

Give it a try a see what happens.

Back