Windows 10 Remote Access Files in Router

raymondliewwk

Hi. Good day. Greetings from Malaysia.

I have a D-Link DIR-842 router with a USB drive connected to it. I successfully set up the USB file sharing and able to access the files in the USB drive from my laptop when I connected to the Wi-Fi locally.

Now, I am away from my house, and I wish to access the files remotely in my current place. May I know what I should do to access the USB drive files remotely without the need for a secondary computer? I have read online about FTP server/services, port forwarding, static IP, and dynamic DNS, but I have no idea how these elements work together to achieve my purpose.

A well-detailed guide from you guys is very welcomed.

Thank you so much.

Exposing any kind of file share to the internet is a really bad idea. File shares and even FTP provide little to no protection from brute force attacks. I would just host the files in an online storage platform like Google Drive or OneDrive.

Exposing yourself in such a way your files is really a bad idea. The wifi passwords are very easy to hack and a lot of people can see what files do you have on your USB adaptor connected to the WIfi router. Usually, all the routers from different companies, at the beginning have a basic username and password, that is used for every router. First thing when you install a WIFI system in your house, you need to change the username and the password from it, to one that only you and the people that live in your house should know. The main problem is that a lot of people don't care about this.

Last edited:
Yes there are secure file sharing, but they're only secure data in transit. They can be brute forced and other attack vectors.

The easiest way is to use NAT. The router has some external IP, which is where we will connect. Go to the "Security" section with the shield icon. Before doing so, I advise you to check the router login. Click on the first tab and then "Add Rule." In "Description," you can write any name you like. For example, "Access to router." In "Interface," it is very important to specify an external Internet network. That is, you specify the connection you are connected to the World Wide Web. The protocol is automatically set to "TCP/UDP and ICMP." Click "Redirect to address" and then select "Other." Enter the IP of the router.

Back