Unseen

I'm trying to connect from one W7 netbook to another W7 laptop (using same build of W7).

It is not working. I did infact enable remote assitance and remote desktop connection on both computers.

What would cause this problem? On the netbook I'm connecting from, I use RDP software from accessories folder and input the correct IP (I'm 100% positive). It tells me the other computer is either off, not on the network or remote connection disabled - but all is false.

If it helps, I'm using Dlink DIR-655 router and Avira antivirus. I doubt they would interfere.

Difficulty in establishing a Remote Desktop connection between two Windows 7 devices could be due to various reasons. Here are some potential causes and steps to troubleshoot the issue:

### Troubleshooting Steps:

1. Firewall Settings:
- Windows Firewall: Ensure that both Windows Firewall settings on both devices are configured to allow Remote Desktop connections.
- Third-party Firewall/Antivirus: Avira Antivirus may have its firewall component blocking the connection. Temporarily disable the antivirus/firewall to test if it's causing the issue.

2. Network Configuration:
- Router Settings: Check if any settings on the Dlink DIR-655 router could be blocking RDP connections. Look for any settings related to port forwarding or blocking RDP traffic.
- Network Discovery: Make sure that network discovery is enabled on both devices.

3. Remote Desktop Settings:
- User Permissions: Ensure that the user accounts you are using to connect have the necessary permissions to allow remote connections.
- RDP Enabled: Double-check that remote desktop connections are indeed enabled on the W7 laptop you are trying to connect to.

4. IP Address Conflicts:
- Verify that there are no IP address conflicts on the network. Assign static IPs to both devices to avoid conflicts.

5. Remote Assistance vs. Remote Desktop:
- Confirm that you are using the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) software for connecting, as Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop are different features with separate configurations.

6. Remote Desktop Port:
- By default, RDP uses port 3389. Ensure that this port is open and forwarded correctly in your router settings.

7. Remote Desktop Services:
- Check the status of Remote Desktop Services on both devices to ensure they are running correctly.

### Router and Antivirus:

While Dlink routers and Avira antivirus may not typically interfere with RDP connections, it's still worth checking their settings to ensure they are not inadvertently causing the issue.

### Additional Considerations:

• Reboot both devices after making any changes to settings.
  • Consider testing the connection in a simplified network environment with minimal devices to isolate the issue.

By following these steps and ensuring each aspect is correctly configured, you should be able to identify and resolve the issue with connecting via Remote Desktop between your Windows 7 devices.

Back