bdraper

Hello All,

I'm having trouble connecting to my Windows 7 PC using remote desktop. Let me give you the details:

I enabled remote access to the Win7 PC. I am 100% certain that I configured it correctly and that remote access is allowed. I even made sure to choose the option to allow connections from any version of remote desktop. I also set up an account with no-ip.com in order to resolve any issues related to having a dynamic ip address. I am using my laptop with XP Pro to attempt to connect to the Win7 PC. The PC is running Win7 Pro. The PC is definitely still connected to the internet because I can ping it. Finally, I have no router, just the dsl modem I got from Qwest, my isp. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Solution
It sounds like you have taken several steps to enable remote desktop access to your Windows 7 PC but are encountering issues when trying to connect from your XP Pro laptop. Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve the connectivity problem: 1. Firewall Settings: - Ensure that the firewall on your Windows 7 PC is not blocking Remote Desktop connections. You may need to create an exception for Remote Desktop in the Windows Firewall settings. 2. Network Configuration: - Check the network settings on both your Windows 7 PC and XP Pro laptop. They should be on the same network or reachable network. 3. Dynamic IP Address and DNS: - Confirm that the dynamic DNS service (like no-ip.com) is correctly updating...
It sounds like you have taken several steps to enable remote desktop access to your Windows 7 PC but are encountering issues when trying to connect from your XP Pro laptop. Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve the connectivity problem: 1. Firewall Settings: - Ensure that the firewall on your Windows 7 PC is not blocking Remote Desktop connections. You may need to create an exception for Remote Desktop in the Windows Firewall settings. 2. Network Configuration: - Check the network settings on both your Windows 7 PC and XP Pro laptop. They should be on the same network or reachable network. 3. Dynamic IP Address and DNS: - Confirm that the dynamic DNS service (like no-ip.com) is correctly updating your IP address. Verify that you can resolve your host name to the correct IP address. 4. Port Forwarding: - Since you have a DSL modem, you may need to set up port forwarding to allow Remote Desktop connections through the modem to your Windows 7 PC. 5. Remote Desktop Services: - Make sure that the Remote Desktop services are running on your Windows 7 PC. You can check this in the Services section of the Control Panel. 6. Security Software Interference: - If you have security software on either the Windows 7 PC or the XP Pro laptop, temporarily disable it to check if it's blocking the connection. 7. Network Level Authentication (NLA): - If Remote Desktop is enabled with Network Level Authentication, ensure that the XP Pro laptop supports NLA. You might need to disable NLA temporarily for testing purposes. Try these steps and see if any of them help resolve the issue. If you still face problems, let me know, and we can explore further solutions.

Solution
Back