Windows 7 Remove user from login screen

Steveiwonder

Hello,

I have created a useraccount via CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2 in windows 7 called SharedAccess, this will be for anyone attempting to login to my machine to try and view files etc etc. I have given it a standard User Account, however i want to remove the user from the login screen so i don't have to click my main username for me to be able to log in.

Firstly, have i gone about the right way fo creating this account? Secondly, if yes, then can i remove just one username from the login screen but keep the account on my Laptop for shared access purpose?

Thanks

Steve

You want a User Acc't but, it not to show on the Welcome Screen. Is that correct?

Yes this is exactly what i am attempting to do, but still struggling. I just one my user only to be displayed for example, windows has accounts called ASPNET & Administrator but these do not get displayed and I'm wondering how to do the same.

I created the account by going to WIN+R(Run) and typing CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2 and adding it there as i always have done, prefer not to use the standard user management option.

Anyone has any idea? It MUST be possible as there is alreadt "hidden" accounts on here. They only show on the welcome screen when booted in safe mode.

OK i managed to work this one out myself after some googling and playing about. If anyone is intrested.

If you already have an existing user that wants to be made hidden, invisible or disappeared from Welcome Screen, then check below, otherwise go create account.

1. Run Registry Editor (RegEdit.exe).

2. Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

Link Removed - Not Found

Note: If SpecialAccounts and UserList is not found, create new sub-key and name them accordingly.

3. Select UserList, and in the right pane, right click on any blank space, and point to New -> DWORD (32-bit) Value.

4. Name the new DWORD registry value name as the exact same name that match the name of the user account to be hidden.

For example, if the user ID of the user account is John, the name the registry value as John.

5. Double click on DWORD registry value, and set the value data to 0 in oder to hide the account from Welcome Screen.

Tip: To display the user account on Welcome Screen again so that it’s visible again, delete the registry entry, or set the value data to 1.

6. Exit Registry Editor.

7. Log off or restart computer to make the change effective.

GL

Steve

Last edited:
OK i managed to work this one out myself after some googling and playing about. If anyone is intrested.

If you already have an existing user that wants to be made hidden, invisible or disappeared from Welcome Screen, then check below, otherwise go create account.

1. Run Registry Editor (RegEdit.exe).

2. Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

Link Removed - Not Found

Note: If SpecialAccounts and UserList is not found, create new sub-key and name them accordingly.

3. Select UserList, and in the right pane, right click on any blank space, and point to New -> DWORD (32-bit) Value.

4. Name the new DWORD registry value name as the exact same name that match the name of the user account to be hidden.

For example, if the user ID of the user account is John, the name the registry value as John.

5. Double click on DWORD registry value, and set the value data to 0 in oder to hide the account from Welcome Screen.

Tip: To display the user account on Welcome Screen again so that it’s visible again, delete the registry entry, or set the value data to 1.

6. Exit Registry Editor.

7. Log off or restart computer to make the change effective.

GL

Steve

After doing so, the account is not visible on logon screen but also not visible in Safe mode logon screen. I wonder, how to make account not visible in normal logon but visible in safe mode?

You may remove a user from the login screen while still keeping the account by entering below in a run command line:
net localgroup users /delete <username>

Back