Windows 7 removing address bar at top of computer folders

jlk6483

ok, so i just barely got a new computer, that's running 7, and i'm still setting all the different little things to my own liking and i need some help

when i go to look at the folders, such as my computer, or the control panel or my documents, all of them, they appear with the address bar and search bar at the top, like a web site page, even complete with a back and forward button, but i severely hate that and was wondering how i change the way the folders appear? i have been all over the net trying to find it but to no avail, i did find it once, but i didn't change it at the time and i am asking for some help to get back to it please

Welcome to the forums!

You cannot delete the Address Bar from Windows Explorer for Windows 7, it is so by design.

You may use your favorite search engine to look for any third party tool that will help you accomplish what you want.
Note: Using Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.

i don't think you understand, somewhere there is an option to view folders as webpages or not, and i can't find that, i found it once, but lost it

when they are viewed as webpages, the address bar and back/forward buttons are there, i want them gone, so i can view my folders as folders, not webpages

I remember this being an option in Windows 98 but don't know of it in Windows 7. Why would one want to view folders as web pages?

that's exactly my point, here is a picture of what i'm talking about

1296664660.png

see that address bar at the top, with the back/forward buttons? i want them all gone

that is how it came from the store, by the way

I remember that somehow XP would lose it's address bar in Windows Explorer (My Computer). It always freaked me out because I never noticed what caused it. I could get it back by unlocking the menu bars and moving things around.

If you don't have your Address bar how are you going to keep track of how you got to where ever you are. I know you have the Navigation Panel but the address bar displays the path. You need that if for no other reason than to have the back button. I wouldn't tell you how to get rid of that even if I knew. Besides it would probably break other needed parts of Windows.

The address bar in Windows 7 is an awesome feature. You can use it to go to pretty much whatever folder you want to find. You need to get into using it and don't even think of getting rid of it.

Last edited:
Ok, I see what you mean. I wouldn't call them "web page" features but navigation arrows. If you need security, look into hiding\locking\securing folders instead of playing with Windows shell. You can also look into getting cool 3rd party shells which maybe have templates with different kinds of navigation panels.

Back