Windows 7 Rescue disc creation from control panel recovery app fail with parameter error

Mychal

Extraordinary Member
I have successfully created a rescue disc from outside of windows (with a boot disk) but cannot get past a
0x80070057 error code from the recovery app "create rescue disc" button from within control panel.

My question is: for the rescue disk to be created from the control panel app, which services-processes-programs-files must be present or running?

I thought that the absence of a System Reserved partition (which supposedly contains recovery files) might be the reason. When I created such a partition with the same content as other Sys Res partitions (on a different computer on which the create rescue disk functions correctly) it made no difference - same error code.

If I am posting to the wrong thread my apologies and please point me to a more appropriate one. Any advice or insight into this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

The error number means some parameter is incorrect. Windows 7 contains its recovery options in the Recovery Partition on the OS partition.

What are you creating the Rescue Disk on, a CD?

For now, could you open an Administrative command prompt and type the command below and then include the results in your next post.

reagentc /info

What does reagentc /info do? Yes, creating the rescue disk on a cd from with the backup-restore app in control panel.

reagentc /info gives info about your recovery registrations. If your system does not know where the recovery files are, it might not be able to move them to the Recovery CD.

So if I am reading this output correctly (see attachment) the computer does not know where my recovery files are?

Attachments

• 2014-08-03_13-57-24.png
    2014-08-03_13-57-24.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 367
It does appear the system does not know where the files are. I have been dealing with this so much in Windows 8, I did not even recognize the Windows 7 version.

If you want to try to register the Recovery tools, we can try to do that. Below is the info from my system. As you can see, the reference is to Hard Disk 0 on the second partition. I am not sure what the Recovery Operation means but I would leave it alone, for now.

If you want to try to register your Tools image, assuming it is still on the C: partition, you can use the reagentc /setreimage to register it.

For instance:

reagentc /setreimage /path c:\Recovery\5e6bec5b-110c-11e4-af57-10bf4879a55f

I am guessing the GUID number is correct, but you may need to check it in the hidden, protected system directory, C: \Recovery. You can check it in an Admin command prompt by using the dir /a command to show the folders and files. Make sure you are looking at the folder in c:\ and not Windows\System32\.

C:\Windows\system32>reagentc /info
Extended configuration for the Recovery Environment
Windows RE enabled: 1
Windows RE staged: 0
Setup enabled: 0
Custom Recovery Tool: 0
WinRE.WIM directory:
Recovery Environment: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition2\Recovery\0e3be3ba-4362-11df-a0b5-d4924bc3
b0e2
BCD Id: 0e3be3ba-4362-11df-a0b5-d4924bc3b0e2
Setup Files:
Recovery Operation: 4
Operation Parameter:
Boot Key Scan Code 0x0
REAGENTC.EXE: Operation successful

When registering the Tools image I get an "Operation failed: b7 Cannot create a file when that file already exists.
I do not what to try next. Thanks for what you have contributed so far.

The only other thing I could do is to check the BCD store to see if the system is set up correctly. If you want, use the command below in an Administrative command prompt and attach the resulting text file.

bcdedit /enum all > %userprofile%\Desktop\bcdtext.txt

I have seen that message before when I was messing around, but I did not know exactly what was causing it.

Do you see anything of interest in this file?
This afternoon I did a clean install and the rescue disk created itself correctly. However, when I first clicked the "create" button the two dvd-cd drives were named differently from in the other installation. Maybe this is a hardware issue? What do you think?

Attachments

• bcdtext.txt
    4.4 KB · Views: 470
Your BCD store appears normal in regard to your Windows 7 install, but I do see some extra things.

There is an XP Boot entry, along with an EasyBCD entry and Bitdefender and EaseUS Todo Backup. Some of those settings may have an effect on your system but I don't really know what a Real Mode Boot Sector does or how it might interact with your system.

You might check the Event Viewer to see if any messages are being generated around the time you try to create a Recovery Disk.

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier {5e6bec54-110c-11e4-af57-10bf4879a55f}
device partition=C:
path \NST\ntldr
description Windows XP

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier {bdbdbd00-6057-11e0-a7f3-ce9adfd72002}
device partition=C:
path \bdr-ld02.mbr
description Bitdefender Rescue Mode - Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1 (x64) 2

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier {c4b69194-4d16-d3ec-a98f-ea816ab385e9}
device partition=C:
path \ESLOADLX
description EaseUS Todo Backup Linux

What solved this problem for my case was deleting the hidden folder c:\recovery and having the OS recreate it. Thanks for your efforts

Back
Top Bottom