Windows 8 Reset Default Program For .bat

Xisumavoid

Ok, to cut to the chase I accidentally changed the default program to open .bat files to note pad. How would I change it back so it would execute the command? I googled it, nothing that helped was found. I tried deleting the User Choice and .bat in the registry. Still didn't work. Any .bat files (That already existed or new ones I just made) still open in notepad. I tried changing the program, but you can't fix it like that. So basically the question is: How do I reset the default programs and apps to open .bat (batch) files back to Unknown/Default? The only choice I see left it re-installing windows. By the way, if this helps I'm using Windows 8.1

1. First a standard warning… mucking about in your registry files without first making a backup is bloody stupid.

2. You need to be at least an admin and this fix will only work on an account by account basis… 8.1 uses roaming accounts and I'll assume that is what you have.

Press [windows key]+[r] and type "regedit" (without quotes) then press enter.

3. Find and click "file" then "export" to make a backup copy of your registry… in case you stuff it up then you can use the import function to reset it again.

Screenshot (88).png

4. Find and click "edit" then press "find" ([ctrl]+[f]) type ".bat " (without quotes) and press enter.

Screenshot (84).png

5. Delete all the entries within the .bat folder but not the folder itself and restart the computer.

Screenshot (86).png

A better work around that doesn't touch the registry;

1. Download rufus* (1.85mb) from this link https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/archive/v1.4.12.zip

* Rufus is an open source usb format tool I trust http://rufus.akeo.ie/ but that’s largely irrelevant… all we really need is an executable that doesn't need the windows registry to function.

2. Create a "rufus" folder someplace out side the c:\ program folder system files… I will assume D:\rufus and place the rufus.exe into this folder.

Screenshot (100).png

3. Open defaults "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations" and set your .bat files to be opened by rufus.
Screenshot (97).png

Click the more options and scroll to the bottom… there should be a find more apps on this pc type link.

If your system locks because it can't find rufus in the registry, (as sometimes happens with low end systems) then you can press [ctrl]+[alt]+[del] to access the task manager and tell it to restart the explorer.
Screenshot (99).png

3. Once you have your .bat files set to be opened by rufus just delete the D:rufus folder and perhaps remove it from your recycle bin if you use that thing… this should reset your defaults programs list to the unknown app setting.

p.s the windows file manager isn't that swift, most the time just renaming the folder from rufus to something else eg, "usb format tool" will also work... good luck!

Back