How to change default editor app for .txt files

Franz47

Win10 64bit. I have installed notepad++ and wanted to make it the default app to open .txt files. When trying to change the default editor I am not offered notepad++, only other software I also had installed previously, but most of them are not even editors.
How can I make it the default editor?

To make Notepad++ the default editor for .txt files on your Windows 10 64-bit computer, you can follow these steps:

1. Right-click on a .txt file that you want to open with Notepad++.
2. Select "Open with" from the context menu, and then click on "Choose another app".
3. In the "How do you want to open this file?" dialog box, click on "More apps".
4. Scroll down to the bottom of the list and click on "Look for another app on this PC".
5. Navigate to the folder where Notepad++ is installed (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++), and select the Notepad++.exe file.
6. Make sure the "Always use this app to open .txt files" checkbox is checked.
7. Click on the "OK" button to save your changes.

After completing these steps, Notepad++ should now be the default editor for opening .txt files on your Windows 10 computer.

For future reference, just type "default" in your search bar and it will show all default settings. "Set a default app"

Back