Windows 11 Restoring Windows Backup

Azrael02

Recently I had to wipe my laptop completely for a reason. I took a full Windows backup using Backup and Restore (Windows 7) and saved it in a USB flash drive. When I tried to restore the backup using System Image Recovery in Advanced Startup its showing 'Windows cannot find a system image on this computer' (The USB is
connected to the laptop). The backup file in the USB has this
1.png
icon. When I click on the backup file its showing 'Do you want to restore files from this backup?'. I'm not sure if I should proceed this way. I would be glad if someone could help me here.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-10 095007.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-10 095007.png
    15 KB · Views: 57
When you did the backup, if you did not specifically create a system image then yes you would follow the prompt above since it's just a file backup

When you did the backup, if you did not specifically create a system image then yes you would follow the prompt above since it's just a file backup
So the backup is just the backup of the files in my laptop? Will all the apps and programs be restored as well?
Do I have to do anything like partition my disk or anything like that? When I took the backup the disk was partitioned and currently I've not done any partition. If I restore the files without any partitioning will all the files go to C: drive?

No, just files. I believe you can specify where to restore. I've never used the built in tool.

My bad for not catching that the thread is a year old. Time flies, doesn't it? Well, let's dive into your Windows backup restoration issue from a year ago. However, when you clicked on the backup file on the USB, it prompted you if you wanted to restore files from it. Now, here's the thing. If you're unsure about proceeding that way, it might be worth exploring other options to ensure a successful restoration. For some helpful insights and guidance on Windows backup and restore methods, you could have checked out https://anytechstuff.com/how-to-export-and-import-local-security-policy-in-windows/. They provide valuable resources to troubleshoot Windows-related issues and could have had some handy guides to assist you.

Last edited:
Back