Windows 7 Return of the 'Access Denied' issue when sharing files.

rockinrichyuk

Hi all.

I previously had a problem whereby I was getting the Access Denied message when trying to share file between a new Win7 PC and a media device.

Link Removed

I fixed it by doing a completely new install of the PC and all was good.

Recently though the problem has come back and I don't know what to do to fix it.

I haven't installed anything that I know of that would mess with that and can only assume its some sort of auto update thats affected settings.

Any idea on how to progress?

Thanks
Rich

Solution
Hi Rich,
Experiencing the "Access Denied" message when trying to share files between a Windows 7 PC and a media device can be frustrating. It's good that you were able to resolve it previously by doing a fresh install, but encountering the issue again is indeed concerning.
Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to address the problem:
1. Check Network Discovery and File Sharing Settings:
- Make sure that Network Discovery and File Sharing are turned on. You can check this by going to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings.

2. Verify File and Printer Sharing:
- Ensure that the File and Printer Sharing protocols are enabled. You can check this in the network adapter...
Hi Rich,
Experiencing the "Access Denied" message when trying to share files between a Windows 7 PC and a media device can be frustrating. It's good that you were able to resolve it previously by doing a fresh install, but encountering the issue again is indeed concerning.
Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to address the problem:
1. Check Network Discovery and File Sharing Settings:
- Make sure that Network Discovery and File Sharing are turned on. You can check this by going to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings.

2. Verify File and Printer Sharing:
- Ensure that the File and Printer Sharing protocols are enabled. You can check this in the network adapter settings.

3. Check Permissions:
- Verify the permissions on the folders you are trying to share. Make sure that the appropriate users or groups have the necessary permissions.

4. Reset HomeGroup:
- If you had previously set up a HomeGroup, consider resetting it and creating a new one. HomeGroup settings sometimes cause sharing issues.

5. Turn off Password-Protected Sharing:
- Disable password-protected sharing temporarily to see if it resolves the issue. You can do this in the advanced sharing settings.

6. Disable Firewall/Antivirus:
- Temporarily disable your firewall and antivirus software to see if they are blocking the file sharing.

7. System Restore:
- Consider using System Restore to go back to a point where the file sharing was working if the issue started after a recent update.
Try these steps and see if they help in resolving the issue. If the problem persists, providing more details about any specific error messages or changes that have occurred recently might help in further troubleshooting.
Let me know if you need further assistance!

Solution