ridiculously specialized question.

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by PattyBoom, Jan 8, 2010.

1. PattyBoom

PattyBoom New Member

or maybe not; as you can see i am n00bin it up over here. I just got and installed win7 on my laptop. so far so good, except i originally had problems with the system recognizing my video card and using direct3d. i downloaded the drivers for my card, and then reinstalled directx and things seemed to be working fine.

until i started messing around with this xp virtual machine. I may be doing something simply stupid but this is what i am trying to accomplish:

i need to be able to open an xp specific program called midiOX (midiYoke) in order to enable my laptop to communicate to all of my midi devices. when i try to run it it gives me the same "cannot use direct3d please install directx" error. now how does the xp virtual machine (which i installed after figuring out what was originally wrong with my direct3d settings) not recognize my video card/settings from 7? do i have to install drivers for xp in the virtual environment? i did that and it gave me an error for trying to install xp drivers on a win7 machine.

also, after all that gets sorted out, as i understand it the next time i use midiOX in win7 it will automatically launch the xp virtual machine to run the program without me having to set it all up each time correct? willikers.

i just want to make my jazz mutant lemur talk to my computer. so frustrating, almost ready to throw this thing in a gutter and just go get a mac that has built in midi daemon recognition; please advise.

thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

2. busydog

busydog New Member

I'd set up a dual-boot Win7/XP Box. Plenty of instructions in this forum and on the internet on how to do that.

3. PattyBoom

PattyBoom New Member

so are you telling me that this xp virtual machine is worthless? ... (smoke from ears) or is there a more entrenched reason that you suggest that?

4. Joe S

Joe S Excellent Member

If don't want to do the dual boot and you have a copy of XP you can use VMware Player http://downloads.vmware.com/d/ It's free and now you can create a VM there. I was never impressed with the free virtual VMs MS offered before. I only tried XP Mode for a short time before dumping it since I have VM Workstation. There is also Sun's Virtualbox but it's a royal pain to network and share on.
    Joe

5. Radenight

Radenight New Member

Anything being run in a virtual environment is useless in my opinion.. ;) I understand all the pros of it but I just can't ever bring myself to use it for anything other then testing purposes.. I would also suggest going with the dual-boot option if you still need Windows XP that bad.. ;)

6. Joe S

Joe S Excellent Member

The biggest thing with a VM is to have a host that is top end. My windows 7 is 64 bit with 8 G ram and a quad core processor. The XP VM is actually faster than my old dell with 1 G ram and a 2.0 pentium 4 processor. I've edited pics,video, converted video and audio. Usually using apps that weren't 64 bit compatible or didn't work on Vista pr Windows 7.
    As an experiment I did load VMware player on my old Dell 8200 and try Windows 7 Home Edition it did run but it was slow. I didn't do more than a quick test loading antivirus. Just my off hand observation but I think a host should have a min if 4G ram to make a guest run decent.
    Adding XP after Windows 7 can be a bit of a problem to get all of the kinks worked out with boot manager and all.
    Joe

#6 Joe S, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010