Windows 7 RUNDLL32.EXE pins my CPU @ 100% when trying to play games

I am somewhat baffled by this.....

Whenever I try to play a game on my Win 7 laptop (older Toshiba Tecra S3, 1.86Ghz, nvidia Go6600, 1 Gig RAM) I see the screen flicker and then nothing happens. I open up the Task Manager and see that the rundll32.exe is pinned @ 100% (or close to) and nothing is happening. I kill the process, and all is well in the world again. Granted I am trying to play older games and have not experienced this with any other apps.

I have tried full re-installs of the games (with patches) and still to no avail. Is this a possible compatability issue? Should I invest in a newer laptop that supports virtualization and rin Win XP as a Virtual Machine and go that way? Any help will be appreciated. :confused:

- Grapeman.

Hi there.
I have had the same problem as you for some time now. But i have now found a solution to it!:

1.open the game normally...
2.kill just the game in task manger(not RunDll32)
3.leave rundll32 running and re-open the game but this time open the game as administrator....
4.the game will open but rundll32 will still take up heaps of CPU. so once in the game Alt-Tab it out, and kill rundll32,there for leaving your computer with normal CPU and the game to run normal again.
hope this helps. with regards.....

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.