Windows 8 Save IP address.

SereneTW

I use my computer at my home and my university. My university internet requires to input their IP address in my network setting(internet protocol version 4). While my home setting is (automatically obtain the IP)So , i have to do this every day.
Is there any way to save the IP address or make it switch the IP automatically. Thanks.

Thank you for the reply.
In alternate configuration tab, it is set to Automatic private Ip address. SHould I enter my university's IP in User configured?

Yes.... that's the one you suggested needed to be static.
The other alternative of course would be to configure your home IP addressing schema on the LAN side of your router to mimic the University's settings which could work as long as their not publicly addressable and depending upon the DNS IPs.

It didnt work. I have inserted a pic of my network connections. I write the university IP address in Ethernet. So,when you said to go to alternate configuration I couldnt find the tab in ethernet(internet protocol v4 properties). But found that tab in Local Area Connection. SO i wrote the Ip address on Local area connection's properties. But it didnt work. It says unidentified newtwok.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 433
Why are you using Connectify and hosting a wifi virtual network.
It looks to me like you're turning your laptop into a wireless hotspot for some reason and sharing your internet connection which is most likely complicating your configuration, resulting in problems with your ability to configure your network properly.
What is the IP addressing schema that the University wishes you to use?
My university internet requires to input their IP address in my network setting(internet protocol version 4
AND
What is your typical IP address schema when you are at home?
IP address, SubNet Mask, Default Gateway, DNS preferred, DNS Alternate?

Well I recently moved to Japan. And I was surprised that most of the people here used cables, so I use connectify for my Iphone.
I will disable it and try it.
ip(university)
subnet

There is no Ip address in my home. I just click obtain IP automatically.

Also where should I enter the IP address.(Alternate configuration) in ethernet or local area network.
Thank you for your time.

Well I recently moved to Japan. And I was surprised that most of the people here used cables, so I use connectify for my Iphone.
ip(university)
subnet

Also where should I enter the IP address.(Alternate configuration) in ethernet or local area network.
Thank you for your time.

ip(university)
subnet

Thank you for your time.

133.34.181.146 (what I assume is the static IP address they want you to use
255.255.255.0 (the subnet mask)
133.34.181.1 (the default gateway)
133.34.4.250 (I'm guessing the preferred DNS server?)
And yes you would put that information in the Alternate address tab information, leaving the default to DHCP / Obtain automatically.
It should work assuming of course that there are no other DHCP servers within range when you are at school.

Back